PDA

View Full Version : National Park Service to Ban Lead Ammo

muskeg13
03-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I just got the following NRA-ILA Alert:
National Park Service Calls For Lead Ammo Ban: The National Park Service (NPS) has announced its intention to ban traditional ammunition containing lead in all its parks. The move would needlessly push hunters to use more costly bullets made of tungsten, copper, and steel. The restrictions, set to take effect by the end of 2010, were announced without regard to science and without soliciting feedback from sportsmens' groups.

It's doesn't look like a hoax. Here's the NPS link:
http://home.nps.gov/applications/release/Detail.cfm?ID=855

They have already made the decision, without any public input. With the stroke of a bureaucrat's pen, traditional muzzleloading and hunting with a Sharps or old Winchester will soon be illegal, and for no good reason.

We need to make our voices heard or our pastime will soon be outlawed. Here's a sample of the letters I sent my congressional delegation:

Honorable Senator Murkowski:

I just learned that the National Park Service has decided to ban the use of lead ammunition and fishing tackle in parks by the end of 2010. This decision has occurred without any public input or any scientific evidence that lead bullets or fishing sinkers pose a significant threat to any park's environment. This is really a backdoor anti-hunting/gun control exercise.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/release/Detail.cfm?ID=855

A lead ammunition ban will necessitate the use of very expensive ammunition, if it is even widely available by 2010. So-called non-toxic ammunition has not been developed yet for many hunting calibers, and the price may put it out of the reach of many subsistence hunters. A lead ban will also prevent sportsmen from using many hunting weapons, such as traditional black powder muzzleloaders and antique or replica rifles that don't or shouldn't be used with jacketed bullets.

As you may be familiar with, many of the "bear stopping" bullets used in Alaska and elsewhere are cast of hard lead alloy, and these will now be made illegal by the stroke of a pen. With so much National Park Service land in Alaska affected, shouldn't you have a say in this matter. The Park Service shouldn't be permitted to enforce this decision until they have given scientific proof there is a nationwide problem that mandates it and there has been adequate public input. Is there any recourse?

Sincerely,

Ole
03-14-2009, 11:11 PM
This one is even better. Pentagon ordered to destroy once fired .223 and .308 brass.

I guess brass is bad for us now, too. :(

http://www.jpfo.org/alerts03/alert20090313.htm

(I don't know the validity of this or the org, just passing it on)

Blammer
03-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I'll just paint my boolits brass colored and tell them it's not lead. :)

mikez
03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
You can't hunt in national parks any way. it is a way for them to tell CCW holders that you cant bring in your handgun for people prtection if you have lead ammo.. Just say no!

Bullshop
03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Parks first then the remaining federal lands.
We are somewhat dependant on federal lands for our subsistance hunting.
BIC/BS

TCLouis
03-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Lets see, just befor President Bush leaves office carry is approved in Parks.

Now there is a ban on "lead" bullets in parks.

How many non lead containing bullets are there out there?

muskeg13
03-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Hunting is allowed in some national parks, Wrangell St. Elias for example. The National Park Service also manages millions of acres of national monuments, seashores, and recreation areas where hunting is permitted.

The Dove
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
So does this mean when I ask a ranger what he/she is packing???? They have green boolits????

The Dove

zampilot
03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
So does this mean when I ask a ranger what he/she is packing???? They have green boolits????

I would be asking that question, and then maybe a citizens arrest just to make a point.
BTW this opens the way for strip mining the available lead from the earth under those national parks, doesnt it? We must get all the lead out of the national parks musnt we?

3rptr
03-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I'll just paint my boolits brass colored and tell them it's not lead. :)

Hey Blammer,

Here in Kalifornia we got these big buzzards that range over part of the state, including where many folks hunt for deer, bear, and other game.

Because of those condors, state has chosen to ban lead ammo in certain zones for any type of hunting. Target practice is not included in that ban.

In accordance with that ban, it is within the hunting regs that a game agent may confiscate a representative of your ammunition to run tests upon in their lab at some further date.

Sorry buddie... The krylon won't work!
They'd have no worries about sending you a ticket in the mail.

You may not possess ANY ammunition containing lead while hunting.
As far as I can tell, that would include a sidearm you may intend for snakes, or even personal defense.

I think a box of 50 copper bullets is $50 for handloading, and a box of factory rounds, loaded with copper bullets is also about $45.

It's a good thing we're all wealthy, here in the Golden State.

Best
3rptr

little bill
03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
we sure have come a long ways from kids eating paint chips!

Firebricker
03-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I guess lead is only ok by the gov if it comes from china.

exile
03-16-2009, 02:28 AM
We have a rat terrier puppy that will chew on almost anything. She kept getting sicker and sicker, scared us, she is my wife's pal. I finally figured out she had been chewing on some plastic trays made in China, I guess the paint in them contained lead. She almost died. We took away the chinese tray, now she is fine. So, I guess our government will allow lead in toys and pharmacueticals from China but not in ammunition? As all of you know this is just a not so subtle attempt to disarm civilians. Our founding fathers never intended for the government or criminals to be armed, just honest civilians, now look where we are.

exile

Stove_Pipe
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.krylon.com/images/products/large/metallic11oz.png

[smilie=1:

kingstrider
03-16-2009, 07:31 PM
You can't hunt in national parks any way. it is a way for them to tell CCW holders that you cant bring in your handgun for people prtection if you have lead ammo.. Just say no!

I turkey hunt in the Daniel Boone National Forest every year and killed the fall gobbler in the photo on the left there as well. Not sure about west of the Mississippi, but here in Kentucky we can still do such things.