PDA

View Full Version : 1st Post

Topper
02-05-2006, 07:59 PM
First, I would like to thank Ken for refering me to this forum.
Second, although I've been a quite observer, I have learned a lot from reading through the post, and I would like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge.
I didn't realize how little I knew :???:
I had given up on a Lee 41mag 240 grain mold, and after lapping it, the leading problem has been cured :)
1st Question is on 45ACP molds.
Metal or aluminum? Production mold or 2 banger? Not really interested in a custom mold, but do want one that will not throw undersized boolits.
2nd Question is on 41mag. I am interested in a custom mold, heavy boolit (255gr and above), and prefer it throws bullets at least .412 - .413. Melt will be wheel weight, water quinched. I've checked NEI, but they do not seem to offer any customization.
Anyone here shooting heavy lead in 41 mag have a prefered weight and design?
Thanks in advance ;-)

AnthonyB
02-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Topper, I can't help with question two, but highly recommend the RCBS 45-230CM as the answer to question 1. The RCBS is hands down the best commonly available boolit for the 45 ACP. Tony

Wayne Smith
02-05-2006, 09:03 PM
First, Topper, Welcome! About that .45, we want to know how much you shoot it to answer your question about which type of mold.

Secondly, check out Mountian Molds website. I didn't think I could do it, but with a chamber cast and several of us measuring it I designed a rifle bullet for my combination gun in 10.5x47R. Don't have it or cartridges yet, so I can't say it will work, but the first obsticale was overcoming my reluctance to try. I must have "designed" that bullet 15 times before I ordered. It's www.mountainmolds.com.

BTW, NEI says they will customize some. GC or no GC, delete or add a band or two to increase or decrease weight in any design. I don't think they customize nose design.

Topper
02-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi Wayne & Anthony,
Shooting time varies with the 45 ACP, but when we do take it out, my son and I average at least 300 - 500 rds say every 2 - 3 months.
I've been using a 200gr Lee TL mold for years (starting to wear out), but now that I have a sizer, I want to get away from tumble lube. It works, but it is messy.
I will be shooting it more for CCL qual.

475/480
02-05-2006, 11:31 PM
I second mountainmolds.com you can design your own bullet.
I have a few heavy moulds from Dan (MM) and 2 from LBT and 1 from Lee.
If you would like to try some before you buy a mould pm me your addy I will ship some extra 255gr bullets I have and some 240gr LBT bullets also.
If you are interested I have an LBT 240gr WFNGC-.411 (2 cavity) I would sell,I dont need it I just got a LBT 230gr from Buckshot.

Sean

Blacktail 8541
02-06-2006, 12:56 AM
I Made A Custom 41 Mold On Dans Webb Site And It Came Out Great, 250 With A Gas Check And A Little Shorter Nose To Fit My Model 97. Dan Will Help Out If He Has The Time If You Would Like More Info Pm Me And I Will Get Back To You.

Frank46
02-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Topper,welcome aboard. Gotta watch out for the sheep and cats. Frank

Buckshot
02-06-2006, 04:25 AM
....................Welcome Topper. I'm dating myself here, but there used ot be a TV series by that name 8)

....................Buckshot

Wayne Smith
02-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Unless you have a very busy lifestyle I would think a 2 cavity would be adequate at that rate. That really is your call. The more cavities the greater possibility of one being slightly different (slim, but possible), but the faster you can produce bullets. I have both iron and alum. molds and see more difference in the quality of production than in material. Both NEI and Saeco alum. molds are as good as Lyman iron molds if not better. The only Lee molds that I really like are the RB molds, they are as good as any if not better - it's a design issue. For material I'd say it's a toss-up. Iron may last longer, but at the rate I cast my children may see the difference, I doubt I will.

Topper
02-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone.
Boolit man, PM sent.
Buckshot, we must be close to the same age:-)

475/480
02-06-2006, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=Topper].
Boolit man, PM sent.

Boolit man is a rating [smilie=l:

Sean- 475/480

Topper
02-07-2006, 12:17 AM
[smilie=b: Took a while to sink in, now I get it