PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand primers

eka
02-05-2006, 07:18 PM
I am preparing to start loading for the M1 Garand. I was wondering how many of you use CCI #34 military style primers? My Speer reloading manual recommends these "mil-spec / less-sensitive" primers to help prevent slam fires. However, my Hornady manual does not mention it. I know Speer and CCI are affiliated companies, so I was wondering if that is mostly product promotion or a true necessity. I also know that properly seating the primer is the main concern as always.

Thanks,

Keith

versifier
02-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Sierra reccommends them, too, as does Lee. I plan on trying some this spring to see if they make any difference on paper. I really have never met or even spoken to anyone who has seen or experienced a slam-fire. My Garand appears to have been very well cared for, so I will be testing them more out of curiosity than any perceived need. Still, you never know.

BruceB
02-05-2006, 11:32 PM
On the principle of "Better safe, than sorry", I'm using CCI 34s in all loads for my Garand and M1A, and will also use them for my SKS whenever I get back to that little beast.

Over quite a few years, at least 20 or more, I've used CCI 200s in four or five Garands, three M1As, and two (genuine) M14s, plus an assortment of other military semi-autos. Some other primer types found their way into ammo for the militaries, too, and none ever gave me troubles.

However, I'm quite happy to accept advice from certain people whom I trust, and hence obtained 5000 #34s while waiting for my M1A to arrive. They will be my standard primer for the rifles mentioned above, until I find some good reason to discontinue their use. The M1/M1A rifles smack the primer with one heck of a whack, and ignition difficulty is very unlikely.

The only downside I see in using the #34 primers is that most stores don't stock them. Mine were special-ordered from our local Ace Hardware, and I had them in about a week.

garandsrus
02-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Keith,

I also use #34 primers in my Garands. I have never experienced a slam fire or know anyone that has, but I also believe better safe than sorry. The #34 is supposed to be a "hotter" or magnum primer also so work up your loads.

I have been using #34 primers with reduced cast loads in a 03-A3 and haven't had any problems. I haven't worked up a cast load for the Garand yet.

eka
02-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks so much for the great advice. The #34's it is. Thumbs up to better safe than sorry!

Keith

PGBsuperior
03-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I have always used CCI #34's in my M2 ball ammo, and have no reason to use anything else as I've always had very good results.

Amy