PDA

View Full Version : New boolit maker with a mould handle issue.

ironhat
03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi there, brothers of the silver stream. I'm new to this and have one Lee mould with handles attached and I ordered a Lyman but forgot the handles. Now, from doing a search and reading (a LOT!) I see that the Lee's need a little tweeking (Lee-menting) and that they will fit the Lymans. My question is; Do I need or can I tap and screw these to the Lyman mould and then do the same to the original Lee mould? Oh yea, just thought of another one. There's a third pin in the front of the Lee mould but the only purpose I see is to produce an alignment ridge along the bottom of the mould. Is that all it does?

Hopefully this isn't too lame. I got a lot of info from the search function (imagine that - LOL!). This looks like a good place to hang my hat and learn from the masters of the perfect pour!

Later,
Chiz

Heavy lead
03-14-2009, 08:43 PM
ironhat, welcome, I think I know what you are saying, but maybe not. Lee 6 cavity mould handles fit Lyman 2 cavity moulds perfect with no modification (4 cavity are a animal of their own), it seems you are describing a Lee 2 cavity mould that come with attached handles (via pin, not screw) and these will not work properly with the Lyman 2 cavity moulds (handles are much too thin).
You can however purchase the Lee 6 cavity mould handles seperately if you can find them in stock.
Now with that said you could (and I have) modify the Lee 2 cavity handle to work on a Lyman, by using washers or some other sort of a shim, but it would require drilling out the top of the Lee mould to drive the pin out, and I wouldn't recommend it unless it was a trashed mould you were scraping out.

ironhat
03-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I can't believe that I forgot the number of cavities. They are two cavity moulds so it looks like I'll be buying another set of handles for the Lymans since the Lees are attached to a good
.452. Oh well, she can only shoot me once... or so. Well, can't say that I didn't try!

Later,
Chiz

mooman76
03-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Just as heavy lead said. The Lee6x handles fit lyman just fine and are allot cheaper like $13. They fit the RCBS with a little tweeking. Just removing a little metal.

Heavy lead
03-14-2009, 09:59 PM
The hard part is trying to find the handles in stock right now. I haven't been able to find any Lee, Lyman, or RCBS handles in stock anywhere, wonder if RedRiverRick has any in stock, I think he was making handles right>

GLL
03-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Heavy Lead:

I just got in 10 LEE 6-cavity handles from MidSouth !

I also got 4 of the Red River Rick 4 cavity & 6 cavity handles a couple weeks ago. His are absolutely the best made handles PERIOD ! BEAUTIFUL craftsmanship !

Jerry

montana_charlie
03-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Red River Rick...His are absolutely the best made handles PERIOD ! BEAUTIFUL craftsmanship !
http://kal.castpics.net/

CM