PDA

View Full Version : ? re Lyman Pocket Reamer

cabezaverde
03-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I just picked one up to prep some military brass.

In use, do you run this tool right to the bottom of the primer pocket, or just do the top 1/32" or so?

Thanks

JSnover
03-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Just enough to remove the crimp so you can set the new primer.

beagle
03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
The one that I have bottoms out so there's no chance of overdoing it./beagle

anachronism
03-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I chuck 'em in the drill, then run it until it stops cutting.

atr
03-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Just to remove the crimp...and it doesn't take much...
DONT bottom out on the Primer pocket !!!

JSnover
03-14-2009, 08:11 PM
I used a general purpose reamer for a long time, just took off enough to get the primer pocket uniforming tool in.

HeavyMetal
03-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Think there might be a little confusion going on here?

A primer pocket "reamer" is designed to bring the specific primer pocket ( large rifle, small rifle, pistol primer pockets both big and small) into the correct spec's for the primer being used.

I don't have a Lyman but do have several others. These are designed as a dead stop system: stick it in the primer pocket and let it run till it won't cut anymore! The outside of the reamer ( at least on mine) stop the cutting when the tool hits the "head' of the cartridge!

It pretty amazing to see how much brass comes out of a case when you use one of these things! However once you seat a few primers and they look and feel like all the reloading manuals and gun writers tell you they should you'll be pretty impressed! Interestingly I have found some case's don't require very much cutting others seem to need a ton and match case's never get touched! Go figure!

There are also several tools on the market to either remove the "crimp" that the military uses to hold primers in on ammo( so they don't rattle out under full auto fire) some "swage" the pocket and some are glorified deburring tools that remove the crimp section of the case.

Both tools of this type can be easily overdone and either leave you with a "coned" primer pocket or one that has been swaged to hold shotgun primers!

When I used to sweat Military case's I used an RCBS deburring tool to just remove enough crimp to insert the primer pocket reamer into the case and went from there.

AS already mentioned a cordless drill will do wonders for your hands if you have more than ten or so case's to ream!

shotman
03-15-2009, 01:13 AM
run till it stops it is 500% better than the "swage" thing. they do wear out unless you have carbide. About 5000 pockets and need new one

JW6108
03-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I have a Hornady primer pocket reamer that is specifically made to remove the military crimp. However, I have found that with some makes of cases in .223 that it will bottom out before the crimp is totally removed. (It is not like a uniformer in that there are any cutting edges on the part that contacts the bottom of the primer pocket.) As such, I have had to return to my previous method for such cases by doing the job with a case chamfering/deburring tool. The one I have is an RCBS, though I would expect that anyone's would suffice. The chamfer, or cone shaped, end is angled wide enough that just a couple of light turns removes the last little bit of crimp that will interfere with smooth seating of the primers.

This tool is tungsten carbide and I have been using it for this job as well as for its intended use for over 30 years. It shows no signs of getting dull and I expect it to last my lifetime, and probably that of someone else.

RP
03-15-2009, 05:54 PM
I got a hand model lyman it worked good I chucked it in my drill and big deal was holding the case some dont wont to be nice. I think i rounded the cutter off dont cut as well now maybe I turned it to fast or to much doing 223 brass which i did alot of. I also got a swager it works ok but I dont like it as well. Either way I do it I find I still have a few that dont want to take a primer. Good luck with yours.

1hole
03-15-2009, 05:55 PM
It seems some are using simular terms for different tools.

A pocket UNIFORMER is a reamer that makes the pockets the standard SAAMI size, primers can then be seated to a uniform depth. Running it in until it stops cutting is the only way to use it properly.

A CRIMP REMOVER is a reamer that removes the GI crimp and rounds the edge of the pocket for easy primer entry. It too should be run in until it stops or the pocket edge rounding won't be consistant.

Lyman makes both types of reamers, I like and use both between centers in my Lyman Universal Case Trimmer. I use the crimp remover on GI brass only, use the Uniformer on all brass I seek best accuracy from.

pdawg_shooter
03-16-2009, 01:38 PM
On my Lyman crimp remover I had to grind a few thousands off the end so it would remove all the crimp. I follow up with a uniformer to get all the holes the same depth.