PDA

View Full Version : Lyman sizing die

bedwards
03-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Ok, dumb question. Some sizing dies will do more than one boolit. Will a .358 sizing die work for the .355 9mm or will it cause leading? I have the .358 and there seems to be a backorder everywhere for the .355.

be

dromia
03-14-2009, 12:15 PM
A .358" sizing die will size a boolit that needs to .358" diameter.

If you need to size your boolits to .355" then you will need a .355" size die. Slugging your bore and taking a throat/lead/bore impression will tell you what your firearm will need in boolit diameter.

oso
03-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Are you sure you need a .355 and not a .356 or .357?
Have you slugged your throat? What is the diameter of the boolit? (You can lube a .357 boolit in a .358 size die.)
You could make dummy rounds with your unsized and your .358 sized boolit and see how they chamber.

bedwards
03-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Truthfully, I've never slugged any of mine for fear of messing the crown up. What is the procedure? I have 2 9's, I guess I'd have to slug each to match them correctly.

be

mooman76
03-14-2009, 11:40 PM
You can run a slightly smaller bullet through a sizer to lube bot of coarse it won't size. You are probubly going to need .356 or even more likely .357. A little larger won't hurt at all as long as it chambers. You won't damage your crown as long as you use the proper precauions.
Clean and lightly oil your barrel. It's best to have pure lead to slug with. Use a ball shaped or egg shaped is best but other lead sluggs will work. You need the a little bigger than your barrel. Use a plastic or similar hammer. Tap the slug in to start and once started you can continue tapping it in with a brass or aluminum cleaning rod or similar item. Removing the barrel may be a good idea 1st. You can rest it on a soft pine board or something to protect the barrel once it is started good it will go easier and you can pick up the barrel when it gets close and catch the slug in a rag or something.