PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a 586-1 some q's

emptyhead
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Just got a 586-1 6inch barrel with aristocrat sights. Just want to know how they hold up with full power loads. It's a much nicer gun then my sercurity six. Lockup is tight and the trigger is muc nicer then the ruger. How do they compare as far as strenght of frames goes. Thanks guys

richbug
03-14-2009, 10:14 AM
They are plenty strong. Every bit the strength of a Python, without the cost. Only thing better would be a S&W 27 or 28.

Dale53
03-14-2009, 11:58 AM
richbug;
I would have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the 586. I have a couple of 686's (stainless 586's) and they are the equal and/or better of anything out there. They were built specifically to handle LOTS of full charge .357's. They are slightly more compact than the Model 27's & 28's and they do have a couple of advantages over the 27:

1 - more compact (as stated above)
2 - longer cylinder that will allow the use of bullets that are not really
compatible with the Model 27 -as an example, Lyman 358429 Keith
bullet works as designed in the 586 (crimped in the crimp groove)
whereas the Model 27 will only allow it's use if you crimp over the front
band.

Don't get me wrong, the Model 27/28 is an excellent platform but NOT "better" than the 586/686. There are those that certainly prefer the 27 but I'm not one of them and it is only personal preference for their choice.

Neither would be the "wrong" choice.

Dale53

Snapping Twig
03-14-2009, 01:45 PM
You have a sweet roscoe there!

I too have a 586-1, but mine's a 4" version. Used to have a 586 no dash in 6", but I foolishly traded it away.

You can shoot anything labeled .357 and conforming to SAAMI in that pistol.

One more tidbit to add to the above information - the bore axis is lower on the 586 compard to a 27.

IMO, every pistolero needs BOTH, a 586 and a 27. :)

Kraschenbirn
03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
My "ugly gun" is a 6" 586-1 that I bought off a one-time "private security officer"...i.e. rent-a-cop of the scariest variety - no legal rights/responsibilities orientation, no firearms training; just uniform, gun, and minimum wage.

Don't think the piece had ever been cleaned and was was rusted in places from being stored in holster. After cleaning and degunking, found that it shot very, very well...as well, at least, as any of my other S&Ws. Had the exterior (coarse) bead-blasted to hide the pitting then, hot-blued without any polishing. Resulting finish was like a flat-black parkerizing...not real pretty but non-reflective and highly durable.

I've owned the gun almost 20 years now and have fired everything from very light WC loads to full-house JHPs and it's still one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever owned. If yours has been well care for...and it sounds like it probably has...you've got yourself a real 'keeper.'

emptyhead
03-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like all be shooting alot more 357's.I like the ruger but the smith is just in another class.