PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights

tommyn
03-13-2009, 08:53 PM
I see what wheel weights are going for in classifieds. This week I stopped at a local tire shop and bought two 5 gallon buckets for $10 each. Made a deal with the owner to buy all he can come up with for that standard price. Now to get grandson to take them out of the back of wifes expediton before she finds them.

docone31
03-13-2009, 09:01 PM
5 gallons of WW for 10$.
Way to go. Get what you can, and keep them close.

xr650
03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
That is a good deal.
I pay 20.00 to 30.00 per 5 gallon bucket, with the occasional free one.

Shiloh
03-14-2009, 09:36 AM
They're getting harder to acquire, certainly for free or on the cheap. With some persistence though, they can still be had. I see more zinc wheelweights though. If we want them, we'll just have to pay. What else can we do.

My buddy went to buy some at the recyclers. He said there were four barrels full of them off to the side of the room. Couldn't miss 'em. When he asked about purchase, the guy said "there are none for sale" when he asked about the four barrels full the guy said "those are not for sale" and no explanation. What the heck gives with that??

Shiloh

badgeredd
03-14-2009, 09:53 AM
They're getting harder to acquire............

My buddy went to buy some at the recyclers. He said there were four barrels full of them off to the side of the room. Couldn't miss 'em. When he asked about purchase, the guy said "there are none for sale" when he asked about the four barrels full the guy said "those are not for sale" and no explanation. What the heck gives with that??

Shiloh

It's probable that they were already sold, or someone at the recyclers had a use for them. After all, I'm sure we boolit casters aren't the only ones that are aware of the shortage of lead wheel weights. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that someone there was melting them down and making ingots for future sale given the trend away from lead WW. You know that recyclers aren't refusing to make money! Just a few thoughts.........
Edd

mrbill2
03-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Any idea what the tire shops pay for wheelweights ? Just wonder why more of them don't reuse them.

alamogunr
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Any idea what the tire shops pay for wheelweights ? Just wonder why more of them don't reuse them.

I think they would be taking a chance on the clips not holding on the rim. A weight coming off at 70 MPH might leave a bump on the fender or hit another car. I once lucked onto a couple of buckets of new truck weights that had soft clips. They just scrapped them instead of returning them to the vendor.
John
W.TN

badgeredd
03-14-2009, 10:26 AM

I've been told that in Michigan, the law forbids re-use of WW because of the possibility of used WW clips failing. Like I said "I've been told"! I have heard this from three or four tire dealers so either it is the truth or they are all sticking to the same story.

Edd

Texas223
03-14-2009, 10:30 AM
I asked our local Wally World tire shop what they did with their used weights. The guy said that they are sent to some outfit in Houston to be re-cycled.

Michael

smkummer
03-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Around here (KY) the recyclers are paying .05 to 10 per pound. It almost doesn't pay to send a gopher out to the recycler. We are paying around $15 per 5 gal. bucket. Making homemade shot like its going out of style. We are hearing stories about how lead may be phased out in a few years. Don't want to sound an alarm but we are getting everything while we can. Happiness if a garage wall lined with shiney ingots. Anyone else using a cornbread mold for ingots?

Lonestar22
03-14-2009, 10:40 AM
From the information I can gather here in Texas, recyclers are paying:
Lead WW's $0.17 to $0.28 per pound depending if the load is LTL or TL.
Lynotype $0.35 to $0.46 per pound (same as above).
Goodyear Tire Service Centers have some kind of bonus program going to have WW's changed from lead to zinc and or steel.

Sprue
03-14-2009, 11:39 AM
I picked up two 5 gal buckets for free this past week. This makes the eighth 5 gal bucket I've gotten off this guy, all for free (cough..well) over the last year or so.

When I first found this place I walked in and enquired about WW's, the first guy I asked said that I need to talk to the owner, so I did. He said yeah, I got some you can have. I asked him what I owed him and he said - nothing. Then he said, how about some boolits. I asked, how many.. he said "Oh, a few". thats all that I could get out of him. So I thanked him and left.

The next week or so I loaded him up 50 rounds from his WW's. As the days went by I suddenly became concerned about giving him my Reloads. A few more weeks passed as I was even more concerned about giving him my reloads. Eventually, I decided to just go to the Mart store, I purchased a 200 round pack (maybe 100-I forget) of Winchester 38 Spl's. That came to about $34 counting tax.

The next time I was in that area, I stopped and offered them to him. He didn't want to take them but I insisted. Since then I've picked up four 5 gal buckets of WW's.

So again, just the other day I stopped by and got two more 5 gal buckets. I asked him what he wanted for them and he said- nothing. In fact, I was only getting one bucket when he asked "do you need any more"? :roll: :-D

Overall, that $34 has been well worth it. Next time I stop by there I'll have something else for him, besides his empty buckets, probably green backs at the very least.

Funny thing is.... I'm feeling a little guilty. Should I be?

jimkim
03-14-2009, 01:29 PM
I bought my first and last bucket from the tire shop down the road this morning. A buddy of mine had bought some from him in Dec. He got a 5 gallon bucket for $30.00. This morning he said the price had gone up to $50.00. I figured I still come out ok, so I agreed. By the way he supplies the bucket. Well not only did the price go up, but the bucket size went down. It's a three gallon bucket now. I still got a good deal compared to commercial prices, but that is the last time I buy anything there.

Flash
03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm paying .30/lb. for pure lead pipe. Living in area with such history, there's plenty of lead pipe at the scrap yard........always.

high standard 40
03-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I've been told that in Michigan, the law forbids re-use of WW because of the possibility of used WW clips failing. Like I said "I've been told"! I have heard this from three or four tire dealers so either it is the truth or they are all sticking to the same story.

Edd

I worked at a new car dealership and we sold tires. The reason you mention is valid. Even if it is not required by law, a reputable dealer will not reuse weights.
The clip could fail, I've seen it happen, and old weights just don't look as good.
It's puts the customer at ease if he see's shiney new weights after he's just paid good money to get the tires balanced. New uncoated AW style wheel weights of 2oz size cost about 33 cents each or $2.65 per pound according to one website I just found.
The shops look at it as the cost of doing business. Kinda like new valve stems with new tires. One less thing to worry about causing a customer come-back.

Charlie........

snaggdit
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
I mentioned to my Dad I was looking for WW. He said he would check at the couple stations in his small town. Talked to him today and he said they told him they reuse them. Cheap suckers! I had one other guy tell me he offers the customer the option of new weights for $3 or used for free. Up here, the majority charge $20 for 5 gallon buckets, but I occasionally get a few gallons for free. The place I get my car work done gives me them for free, but it isn't his main business. A free pail every couple months. This time, now that spring approaches, I'm going to ask him what pistol calibers he could use and drop off a few hundred rounds for him. Gotta grease the gears...

Ole
03-14-2009, 10:53 PM
I mentioned to my Dad I was looking for WW. He said he would check at the couple stations in his small town. Talked to him today and he said they told him they reuse them. Cheap suckers! I had one other guy tell me he offers the customer the option of new weights for $3 or used for free. Up here, the majority charge $20 for 5 gallon buckets, but I occasionally get a few gallons for free. The place I get my car work done gives me them for free, but it isn't his main business. A free pail every couple months. This time, now that spring approaches, I'm going to ask him what pistol calibers he could use and drop off a few hundred rounds for him. Gotta grease the gears...

I made some (50) ranch dog 265 grain .44's for a guy that works at a shop when I found out he loads for .44's. Any edge you can give yourself, I figure. He's already gave me 20lbs of really nice weights for free and that was only 2 weeks after I asked him to start saving them for me. :-D