PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 CB load or Bomb?

USARO4
02-05-2006, 02:32 PM
I was cleaning off my ammo shelf and came across 4 boxes of 30-30 rounds. According to my notes it's a load I worked up about 6 years ago. It's a 115 gr cast lead flat tip over 17.3 gr of H-322, WLR primer. My problem is I can't find the source for that load. I've looked in all my numerous reloading manuals and none list that powder with that bullet. I'm not the kind of person to just come up with a load and I'm thinking I may have called Hodgdens over the phone and got it from them. I used to do that alot before I had a computer. This 50 yr old brain just can't remember. I've since read warnings about reduced charges with rifle powders, but H-322 is relatively fast on the rifle powder charts. Anyone have any experience with a similiar load? Any tips or comments welcome. By the way, my notes said , very accurate, no leading. I shoot it thru a Marlin 336.

felix
02-05-2006, 02:40 PM
That load can be a bomb, especially if the first issue of that H322 is used. Try a couple after holding the gun skyward to get the powder against the primer, and then lower gently to shoot. Do NOT go below horizontal upon lowering the gun because those little single base tubes can easily act like a ball powder. If no funny ignition, then treat the rest of them that very same way until all gone. ... felix