PDA

View Full Version : Stainless guns , on a sunny day???

Joe C
03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi all.
I was tossing around the idea of picking up a Rossi M92 in 45 LC 24" stainless
octagon barrel.
Since i have never played much with stainless rifles , i was wondering if there is any problem with reflection off of the stainless bbl on a bright sunny day .
I know that it is kind of a brushed finish , but still wondering about reflection on it .

Second question i have , is it easier to clean lead out of a stainless barreled rifle , than a blued one ????????
My thinking , (which usually gets me in trouble) is that the lead wouldn't "stick" to a stainless barrel as easily as a steel one....

Thanks
Joe.

hoosierlogger
03-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Ive got a Rossi model 62SA .22 pump that I bought several years ago that has a round barrel I havent had any issues with glare from the barrel. The area that gives off the glare is on the very back of the receiver where it has the rounded off corner. its not really a problem unless you are shooting at a target in a shaded area. It is a darn accurite lil gun for the money.

Boerrancher
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
My thinking , (which usually gets me in trouble) is that the lead wouldn't "stick" to a stainless barrel as easily as a steel one....

Thanks
Joe.

You are exactly right it doesn't stick as easily. It sticks easier and is a bigger PITA to get out. I don't like Stainless barrels for shooting cast. I have found over the years molly barrels work better for cast.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

S.R.Custom
03-13-2009, 05:12 PM
You are exactly right it doesn't stick as easily. It sticks easier and is a bigger PITA to get out. I don't like Stainless barrels for shooting cast. I have found over the years molly barrels work better for cast.

Indeed. All else being equal, stainless barrels machine and finish rougher than steel ones, and are more prone to fouling and harder to clean up than their regular steel counterparts as a result.

Bret4207
03-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Hence, the reason God intended for guns to be blued. Quite simple when you look at it that way.

August
03-13-2009, 07:25 PM
No problem, except sometimes when the sun is LOW in the sky. Then, you can get a false sight reading because the light is coming off one side of the blade rather than the middle. This happens with brass beads too.

sundog
03-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Bret, God really intended for guns to parked... Bluing is a nice gentlemanly way of taking the edge off so they are a little more acceptable to sheep.

Bret4207
03-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Bret, God really intended for guns to parked... Bluing is a nice gentlemanly way of taking the edge off so they are a little more acceptable to sheep.

I stand corrected!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

WyrTwister
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi all.
I was tossing around the idea of picking up a Rossi M92 in 45 LC 24" stainless
octagon barrel.
Since i have never played much with stainless rifles , i was wondering if there is any problem with reflection off of the stainless bbl on a bright sunny day .
I know that it is kind of a brushed finish , but still wondering about reflection on it .

Second question i have , is it easier to clean lead out of a stainless barreled rifle , than a blued one ????????

Thanks
Joe.

I think it may be more important , how smooth the steel cuts ( is it prone to cause tool chatter ? ) and how well the manufacturer pollished / lapped ?

Also there may be a difference in bore finish , between cut rifling and swagged / button riflings ?

If your barrel is leading , try some J. B. Bore Polish from Brownells .

But , above all , make sure your bullets are large enough for the chamber throat and the bore .

.001" - .002" above bore size usually helps .

Then you have your usual discussion of bullet hardness & bullet lube qualities .

Lastly , I know it does not apply to this thread , but chrome lined bores really clean up well on military rifles shooting ***'s . :-)

God bless
Wyr

runfiverun
03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
i have the gun you describe it is going to be butchered shortly.
20" bbl ,5 shot mag,and rhino liner type wood coating.
but a decent set of sights will be on the list also [peep,and post with a hood]
but i really have not had any problems with the sights as it come from the box.
and i have never shot anything but cast in it from minute one.
and wouldn't cut it up but i like it and have a bunch of blue ones that have the brass beads on the front sight i have more problems with them picking up the light wrong causing shots to move across the target throughout the day.