PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 Cavity 7.62x39 140 grain Spitzer

jim4065
03-13-2009, 03:32 PM
My mold is throwing these out at just under 130 grains in scrap Linotype. Rained all day yesterday so I threw together 4 sets of five in 27.0, 27.5, 28.0 and 28.5 grains of WC846 lot 406348. No problems with pressure signs as judged by the primers. (But the last set were flattened somewhat.) YMMV.

No scope on the rifle yet - I have the scope and mount but I'm missing the oddball screws (something else to spend a day on....). Anyway, at fifty yards my groups were 3.2, 3.6, 2.7 and 2.8 inches respectively. I know that's not very good, but my eyes ain't what they used to be, etc. No chrono readings, but they all functioned the rifle perfectly. I picked these powder charges based on using what some 123 grain FMJ's liked recently - but cut 'em down a bit because the boolits were unsized, hand-lubed and with a GC pressed on. Had a little off-center flattening on the end using the wrong top punch. This resulted in shaving the nose on one side when it ran against the edge of the barrel. The sample set doesn't really mean anything - too small a sample and too large a variable (eyesight). Incidentally there was a bit of powder compression at 28.5 grains in Federal cases.

All in all, a waste of time - but FUN. :mrgreen:

The rifle is a Chinese "AK Hunter" proudly? made in Factory 386.

helice
03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Jim4065
What you shootin' it in? A Mini-30? And hey Any time I can smell gunsmoke i ain't wasting time. Keep at it and let us know what's happening. Keep writin', I'm learnin'. Helice

38-55
03-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Jim,
That top punch issue should soon be rectified ... it and the seater plug went out yesterday morning.. I have another one that is going out with todays mail too..
Thanks again for honcho-ing the buy
Calvin

Gee_Wizz01
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
My mold throws them at about 130 grs with WW/LT mix close to Lyman #2. I sized them to .314 and used Lee 50/50 Alox NRA formula. I loaded up a several batches of 5rds each with Unique, starting at 8.0 grs. The 8.0 load shot a 1.52" 5 shot group at 50 yds . This group had Hornady gas checks. The rest of the groups were fired with Freechex made from 2 layers of coke can. The Freechex groups would generally put 4 shots into approx 1.25" and then a flyer would open the group to 2.25" to 2.8". I tried Freechex loads at 8.0 gr 8.5 gr and 9.0 grs the 9 grain group opened to 2.80. I am out of Hornady gas checks so I can only work with Freechexs for the time being. The rifle I used was a Chinese SKS.

I also tried the boolits in a Savage No. 4 MkI Enfield with a 2 Groove barrel. I used a load of 13.0 grs Red Dot. The results were very poor I got 5" groups at 50 yds with at least one keyhole out of every 5 rd group. I think the load might be a little hot for this bullet and Freechex. This load produces 1.25" groups with the Lee 312-155 gc.

Overall I am very satisfied with the mold and as soon as I get a little more time I want to do some serious load development. I also need to get some more Hornady gas checks, unfortunately every one seems to be out of .30's. I will continue to work with the freechex, but I would like to have control groups of Hornady's to compare to. I also plan on trying both 2400 and AA1680.

G

truckmsl
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
This mold has been working out great for me in 7.62x39. I haven't seen many comments from the other folks who purchased this mold. If you're out there - how's it working out for you?

38-55
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey truckm's,
How that top punch working for ya ?
Stay safe
Calvin

truckmsl
06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey truckm's,
How that top punch working for ya ?
Stay safe
Calvin

Calvin that top punch is a gem - couldn't ask for a better one. Thanks again! Mike

Gee_Wizz01
06-10-2009, 05:57 PM
This mold has been working out great for me in 7.62x39. I haven't seen many comments from the other folks who purchased this mold. If you're out there - how's it working out for you?

Truck MSL what loads are using, and what type of accuracy are you seeing?

G

truckmsl
06-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Truck MSL what loads are using, and what type of accuracy are you seeing?

G

Gee_W- I'm shooting this boolit through a Norinco AK with iron sights and over 55 eyes, so obviously what I consider good accuracy is based on the limitations of the rifle and the shooter. I am able to put most of my shots in 3-4 inches at 100 yards off of sand bags. Without a scope that's probably as good as it gets for me, but as an avid plinker, I'm pretty happy with that. I could scope it, but prefer the AK in it's simpler form. The 15 grains of 2400 load is very economical for me since I keep 8# jugs around for my .357 levergun loads. The nice thing about this load is that the brass piles up 6 feet away, doesn't grow much, and doesn't get beat up.