PDA

View Full Version : WW, insurance companies & Hazmat

daboone
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Tire shops used to be the place to pick up bootlits in the raw. It seem HAZMAT and tire shops insurance companies require recycling of wheel weights. A few years ago I had to drive to at least 10 different tire stores and local auto repair garages to find a bucket of wheel weights because other casters (fishing weights and bullet makers) beat me to the first nine. Was that not a good recycling program?

I understand these stores can make a small profit selling them to recyclers but new rules and regulations prohibit tire shops from selling of this material to the public. This control is more infringement of our rights via the back door?

Willbird
03-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Tire shops used to be the place to pick up bootlits in the raw. It seem HAZMAT and tire shops insurance companies require recycling of wheel weights. A few years ago I had to drive to at least 10 different tire stores and local auto repair garages to find a bucket of wheel weights because other casters (fishing weights and bullet makers) beat me to the first nine. Was that not a good recycling program?

I understand these stores can make a small profit selling them to recyclers but new rules and regulations prohibit tire shops from selling of this material to the public. This control is more infringement of our rights via the back door?

The way I understand if the Tire store SHOULD show that they recycle, however nobody REALLY makes sure they recycle ALL of them :-).

Just like batteries, one place I worked we found a place to recycle dry cell batteries, thus we showed on paper that we recycled batteries, however we did not probably recycle every one because SOME people threw used ones in the trash :-).

Bill

Old Ironsights
03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Simple. Set yourself up as a "recycler". Get some business cards, some letterhead and a copy of the state/EPA regs on handling lead. Contract with them for FREE recycling services...

All they've got to show their Insurance folks is the "right" paperwork... so give it to them.

(This won't work for Corporate Chains, but should be good everywhere else...)

r6487
03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't believe there are any regulations that seriously pressure tire shops. I think in the future these agreements (like State of Commiefornia with Wal-Mart and large chains)may come into play. In my area, I have collected apprx. 3000 lbs and I have yet to pay $0.01 for any of it. Lots of mom/pop shops may put people off because they already have informal agreements with casters/users, some may actually turn in old weights for credit on new purchases, some may be scared cause they're not sure if it's legal to give them away to the public. Others bargain with walk-ins like us, and most likely just pocket the money. One day it may come to raiding old wrecking yards or Wal-Mart parking lots. I actually think we will run out of primers first and that will shut down everybody over time. What bother me right now is the auctions for used military brass being re-worded to indicate that all brass must be mutilated and the rumors that Hitlary's State Dept. is on the verge of suspending ALL imports of surplus ammunition.

Flash
03-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Simple. Set yourself up as a "recycler". Get some business cards, some letterhead and a copy of the state/EPA regs on handling lead. Contract with them for FREE recycling services...

All they've got to show their Insurance folks is the "right" paperwork... so give it to them.

(This won't work for Corporate Chains, but should be good everywhere else...)

Won't work. Lead is a hazardous material and Haz-Mat regulations are governed by the federal government. Haz-Mat handling is lumped in with the U.S. Department of Transportation and recyclers, carriers and dealers must be licensed by the federal government. The magic number for the liability insurance requirement for state and federal licensing is $1,000,000......minimum. It's far cheaper to buy it straight from the scrap recycler, then to even attempt to go into business for one's self as a Haz-Mat recycler.

oldtoolsniper
03-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Under clinton I crushed thousands upon thousands of M1911A1's and M14's so they could not be sold. Brass is sold at DRMO auctions by the tons and you must be cetified to buy it and comply with the regulations they impose on you. 1 swipe of a pen and it too will be crushed.

FN in MT
03-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Under clinton I crushed thousands upon thousands of M1911A1's and M14's so they could not be sold. Brass is sold at DRMO auctions by the tons and you must be cetified to buy it and comply with the regulations they impose on you. 1 swipe of a pen and it too will be crushed.

Well apparently that "swipe of the pen" is forthcoming!! Heard today from a commercial reloader that the Govt will no longer sell ANY Military brass to reloaders. It will be crushed or shredded and sold as SCRAP. the Black Messiah has either signed a change order or is going to.

Again...this is 2nd hand. But...reloading and buying brass from DRMO auctions IS this guys business....... so it may be true.

The HAZ-MAT BS on WW's is just another Nanny State infringement...expect far more of this garbage in the future.

FN in MT

Avery Arms
03-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Well apparently that "swipe of the pen" is forthcoming!! Heard today from a commercial reloader that the Govt will no longer sell ANY Military brass to reloaders. It will be crushed or shredded and sold as SCRAP. the Black Messiah has either signed a change order or is going to.

Again...this is 2nd hand. But...reloading and buying brass from DRMO auctions IS this guys business....... so it may be true.

The HAZ-MAT BS on WW's is just another Nanny State infringement...expect far more of this garbage in the future.

FN in MT

It is true, just go to georgia-arms.com to read the fine print.

BTW they have stopped all 223 & 308 sales:neutral:

PP

Bret4207
03-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Won't work. Lead is a hazardous material and Haz-Mat regulations are governed by the federal government. Haz-Mat handling is lumped in with the U.S. Department of Transportation and recyclers, carriers and dealers must be licensed by the federal government. The magic number for the liability insurance requirement for state and federal licensing is $1,000,000......minimum. It's far cheaper to buy it straight from the scrap recycler, then to even attempt to go into business for one's self as a Haz-Mat recycler.

I just checked the Haz Mat tables and "Lead" is not a Haz Mat! Certain forms of lead ARE Haz Mat, but nothing resembling WW is listed. Anyone telling you lead WW is a Haz Mat is confusing it with EPA regs (apparently) that may list "lead" as an environmental hazard. If presented with someone saying so I'd ask for documentation so we can find out just what the issue is.

Also remember that "Haz Mat" as regulated by the USDOT is only applicable when in transport, and even then it has to be more than 1000 lbs at once for Table 2 items. The next time someone tells you they have to sell WW to a Haz Mat outfit ask what placards they are required to place on the containers, what the packaging, labeling and marking requirements are, where their Haz Mat Shipper Certification is. They won't have a clue what you're talking about because it's not a Haz Mat!

kendall yates
03-15-2009, 09:13 AM
After working on and around 3000+ pound industrial forklift batteries for years they are only considered hazmat because of the acid. DOT regulations say that anyone car carry 1000 pounds and its not considered Haz-Mat but 1001 pounds is. That being said WW is not a haz-mat. Lead is not part of any DOT Haz-mat regulation.

Flash
03-15-2009, 11:13 AM
After working on and around 3000+ pound industrial forklift batteries for years they are only considered hazmat because of the acid. DOT regulations say that anyone car carry 1000 pounds and its not considered Haz-Mat but 1001 pounds is. That being said WW is not a haz-mat. Lead is not part of any DOT Haz-mat regulation.

Glad to hear that. I've been turned away by every tire dealer in town due to this nonsense. I've got a scrap dealer who will sell me all I want so you guys must be right.

kendall yates
03-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I know the manager at a sears tire center and they get money off their weight bill if they send the old ones back ot the company for recycling. He said its pretty much like a core charge and its sears "policy" that he dosent sell to the public because sears never gets that cash from public sales.

xzqzq
10-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Hi, guys... I'm new to this site, and to casting bullets... Wondering if wearing gloves, long pants & shirt, dusk mask, and staying as far as possible away from the lead pot while casting is enough to keep me safe from vaporized lead and other carcinogens ??.... Thanks, George

44fanatic
10-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Hi, guys... I'm new to this site, and to casting bullets... Wondering if wearing gloves, long pants & shirt, dusk mask, and staying as far as possible away from the lead pot while casting is enough to keep me safe from vaporized lead and other carcinogens ??.... Thanks, George

Well, you aint gonna cast any boolits staying as far away from the pot as you can...LOL.

Guys, please correct me if Im wrong...lead vaporizes at around 1750f. Unless you are melting lead in a foundry, it will never get near the temp. Most casting is done around 650-800f. Smelting, most folks prefer to keep below 600f so that they dont contaminate their lead with zinc. As for the other garbage in your smelt, stay up wind/good ventilation, use proper protective gear and wash your hands frequently.

zuke
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Are you a smoker? :veryconfu
You have a better chance of contamination from handeling used primer's and dry tumbling media.
If I remember right priming compound's are lead based.

sqlbullet
10-04-2010, 09:54 AM
44fanatic and zuke have covered this for you George. Don't eat, drink or smoke while casting bullets. Also, don't ingest the bullets. You will be fine.

Vitamin-C also helps reduce lead levels, probably by blocking absorption, so 1000mg of C a day is a good idea. I get them at wal-mart, and a $20.00 bottle will last 2 years.

As far as lead being haz-mat, I haven't researched, but gotta call bunk. Like Muddy Creek Sam, I get my lead from radio-pharmacies. They fall under heavy federal regulation since they deal with radio-active isotopes. They have to show the lead was clean of radiation when they sell it, but not who they sell it to.

GabbyM
10-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Don't use a vacuum to clean up around the pot as that will blow fine dust out. Other than that it's no biggie.