PDA

View Full Version : 30/30 Lee Die Issues

azcoyhunter
03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a new Lee 3 die set.

When I sized/decapped my first 30/30 round, the decapper rod got caught in the case. Long story short, what did I do wrong?

Do they just need tightened that much?

Thanks for any help!!!

billyb
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Yes they need to be snugged down pretty tight. Hornady uses the same type collet on thier decapper expander rod .I had trouble keeping mine in place and contacted Hornady and they sent me a replacement spindle with groves on it to hold it in place. Bill

swheeler
03-13-2009, 11:56 AM
AZ CH; they do need to be tight, be sure to lube the inside of the case necks.

azcoyhunter
03-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes they need to be snugged down pretty tight. Hornady uses the same type collet on thier decapper expander rod .I had trouble keeping mine in place and contacted Hornady and they sent me a replacement spindle with groves on it to hold it in place. Bill

Thanks,

I will make sure to tighten them down.

azcoyhunter
03-13-2009, 01:28 PM
AZ CH; they do need to be tight, be sure to lube the inside of the case necks.

I have some Lee Case Lube, and some Q-Tips, I will try that tonight.

Thanks for the help

Pepe Ray
03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
AZCoyhunter;
IF you're gonna lube inside the case necks, do yourself a favor.
A dry lube, such as the white powder sold to re loaders, will not need as much work cleaning up as a grease type lube will. And you must remove it or suffer inconsistent bullet pull on firing.
The standard pedestal mounted brushes with a dip reservoir , work beautifully.
P.R.

azcoyhunter
03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
P.R.

Thanks for the info.
Where would I get some?
How much do you use?

Thanks again

Firebricker
03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
midway has it frankford arsnenal fine powdered mica #595-942

Recluse
03-14-2009, 04:10 AM
P.R.

Thanks for the info.
Where would I get some?
How much do you use?

Thanks again

I have the Forster three-brush set mounted next to my single-stage press, and have been completely satisfied with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=301357

For years, I would use a Q-tip and the Lee lube on the inside of my case necks, then have to go back and carefully clean it out. For whatever reason, I found that 30-30 needed more lubrication--inside and out--than did any of my other bottle-neck cases. Might just be me. . .

For what it's worth, I use the Lee dies for my 30-30 and get very good results. One trick I have learned is when seating the boolit, seat it about halfway (half pull of the handle), then rotate the case 180 degrees and then finish seating it. Seems to give me a more uniform fit.

:coffee:

Bret4207
03-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Take the Lee decaping die apart and clean the rod and collet with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Get the assy lube off it. It'll hold better.

azcoyhunter
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks to all the info.

I decapped and sized 14 cases and after I tightened the Die, it worked perfectly.

ACH