PDA

View Full Version : Lubing and Load question

mongo-az
03-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Two questions....

I'm using a Lee 452-255-RF mold, which is producing boolits about a .455, which I'll then size down to .452 - I would like to pan lube them.

1. Can I pan-lube them first before putting them thru the sizing die?
2. Load-based question - my favorite load for my OM vaquero has always been 250gr RNFP boolits, CCI primers over 8.0gr of Unique. I'm also shooting them out of a Uberti 1866 Yellowboy 24" barrel. Most of the CAS shooters think this is too high a load for the '66, given the toggle link - but I've shot them thru with nary a kick to the rifle. Granted, a lot of thos guys load light to increase speed - but wanted to get y'all opinion?

....a new casting addict....

Recluse
03-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi and welcome.

I'll answer your first question but I know nothing about your second. So far as lubing before pushing boolits through the Lee sizers, in my opinion, that's the ONLY way to do it. Easier on the equipment (press), easier on the operator (me) and easier on the boolit (the whole point of our addiction).

When I tumble lube, I lube once then size, then lube again then load. On those rare masochistic occasions in which I choose to pan lube, I lube then run through the appropriate Lee push-through sizers (of which I am a HUGE fan of).

:coffee:

runfiverun
03-13-2009, 03:20 PM
i definately would lube first then size.
i would also back that load down to 7 grains. for the rifle at least.

1Shirt
03-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Many years ago before I could afford a Lube sizer, I used to pan lube, cake cut them out with a cut off fired case, and size them with a Lyman 310 tool sizer. Was slow and messy, but they always shot well and kept me in ammo. I always did this the same day that I cast however as I have always water dropped, and wanted to get them lubed and sized before they started hardening. Good luck!
1Shirt!

Boerrancher
03-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a 44-40 in a Mod 66 that I shoot 10.5 grs of unique behind a 200 gr RF boolit. I don't shoot it every day mind you like I do my Mod 92 45LC's, but I have put a fair number of rounds through it and have not loosened the linkage on it yet. 10.5 grains of unique is the Max load listed for a 44-40 rifle in my lyman manual. I would think that you should be fine with 9 grs as long as you are not shooting hundreds of rounds through it a week.

Best wishes from the Boer ranch,

Joe