PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Question on Tin

steveb
02-05-2006, 11:21 AM
While making ingots of Tin last night the ingots had a golden or copper hue to them is this normal??
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/goldentin.jpg

GLL
02-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Steve:

Very nice looking pile of Tin ! :)

Would you please test the hardness of a couple of your Tin ingots. The information in the literature shows the BHN to be all over the place ( 3.9-30) ! Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

steveb
02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Jerry,These are the very first ingots ive ever cast,Im sorry but I dont have a hardness tester yet.I just got most of the equipment and made my first ingots last night of Tin and WW.

brshooter
02-22-2006, 06:55 PM
gold color comes from the metal being too hot.

steveb
02-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info!! :)

imashooter2
02-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Just curious... What form did the tin come in that you made ingots of it?

steveb
02-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Well actually the tin was in a 5 gallon bucket some of it was ingots from small cast iron skillets,and others were bars.I believe we got about 100-120 lbs of tin for .10 cents a pound but 40lb of it was Cerro Tru ingots. I asked about those on the forum and it contains tin and bismuth so I dont think I can use those for casting, its along the lines of CerroSafe for gun chambers .You can do a search on my threads and someone posted the just of it. I believe gunsmiths could use it for different stuff.BUT the majority of it was usable tin at a darn good price.Dad worked in a scrapyard for 30 years and we went there and cleaned up! Still have to make another run and pick up 100 or so pounds of WW.

Lloyd Smale
02-22-2006, 09:25 PM
alot of my tin comes from babbit and most babbit has a trace of copper in it and it will make the ingots a gold colar. Theres not enough copper to bother anything though.

imashooter2
02-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Well actually the tin was in a 5 gallon bucket some of it was ingots from small cast iron skillets,and others were bars.I believe we got about 100-120 lbs of tin for .10 cents a pound but 40lb of it was Cerro Tru ingots. I asked about those on the forum and it contains tin and bismuth so I dont think I can use those for casting, its along the lines of CerroSafe for gun chambers .You can do a search on my threads and someone posted the just of it. I believe gunsmiths could use it for different stuff.BUT the majority of it was usable tin at a darn good price.Dad worked in a scrapyard for 30 years and we went there and cleaned up! Still have to make another run and pick up 100 or so pounds of WW.

Wow! 10 cent a pound is a plenty sweet deal.

Buckshot
02-25-2006, 04:09 AM
.................The pure tin I have came from a friend of mine. He retired fromt eh California university system and was what they call a Physical plant superintendant. He oversaw all the HIVAC systems, electrical distribution, emergancy power, plumbing and structural systems.

The University of Cal, Riverside was getting a new science building so the old one was being demolished. He realized that all the distilled water distribution was in pure tin pipes. Since the contractor had all salvage rights he asked about the pipe and was told he could have it all as all they were going to worry about was the copper fire sprinkler piping.

Ken gathered up all the tin piping he could find and took it home where he melted it all down into Lyman ingots. Everytime I'd go to visit he'd load me down with tin. When he decided to get out of casting and shooting (he had arthritis real bad) he sold me the last few 50 cal ammo cans of tin he had. While he knew tin was currently about $7/lb he was selling this last for $1/lb. Still added up to a sizeable amount of jingle, but I bought all I could afford, and sold the balance on the old Shooters.com board.

...............Buckshot