PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 spc primer size

7br
03-12-2009, 06:38 PM
6.8 spc brass can be had with either large or small primer pockets. Any ideas on which you would shoose and why?

Firebird
03-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I would go with small primers as it means the case is a little stronger and the 6.8 SPC isn't big enough to use slow powders that would need the power of a large rifle primer to ignite properly.
Unless it was the only cartridge I reloaded that used a small rifle primer, with the rest using large rifle primers. Then I would go with a large primer sized case so that I wouldn't need to stock small rifle primers for only a single case.

high standard 40
03-12-2009, 09:15 PM
+1 to what Firebird said.

jameslovesjammie
03-13-2009, 01:29 PM
I think that the early run of this brass was large primered. Silverstate still has large primer for sale, but I believe all the new Remington and Silverstate loaded ammo is small primer now.

The only reason for buying large primer brass now would be if you already have a collection of brass that is large primer...keep them all the same. If you don't have any brass yet, go small. Going straight through Silverstate was quite a bit cheaper than going through Midway, but it's been a while since I've checked.