PDA

View Full Version : slug wads

acemedic13
03-12-2009, 06:12 PM
What kind of wads are you folks using when loading slugs. I am using a few different types of "petal" wads. I am thinking of trying vegetable wads. Any Suggestions??

longbow
03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Are you shooting rifled or smooth?

What type of slug?

So far my best results from a smoothbore are with bore size slugs or balls over a hard card wad column and with undersize balls in a shotcup. Same bore size balls with one hard card wad and one fiber cushion wad did not shoot well.

My guess is since the wad is still pushing on the slug as it leaves the muzzle a stiffer solid wad provides more consistent support. I am thinking that the fiber wad was breaking up and pushing unevenly at the muzzle.

Having said that, I have also gotten good results with a 0.662" ball patched and in a cushion leg shotcup. Where slugs in or on cushion leg wads have not worked well for me.

Longbow

acemedic13
03-13-2009, 04:34 AM
I am using a lee slug mold. I am not sure what the data on it is. It has the partition on the back. They shoot really well out of my pump action shotguns but dont cycle the action on most auto's. I am not sure if it is a weight issue, or a powder issue. The same powder load will cycle my auto's with a shot charge, it is just at the point where it cycles. Almost at the "wont cycle point" even with that.

I am shooting smooth bores. I am doing just fine with the wads I am using, I just did not really know if there were better choices for slug shooting that would close these groups up a little. I am getting decent accuracy out of them up to about 70 or so yards. After that they open up quite a bit. I will dabble with it a little more. Thanks, Joel

skiforce
03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
I use the Federal 12S3 with the 1oz Lee Slug. Everything else is either too thick or has ridges on the petals. BTW, the claybuster 12S3 look-a-like is very different. Just use the real federals. The difference is well worth the money. I also use a hard card 20ga wad under the slug to make it the right height.

longbow
03-13-2009, 07:53 PM
The Lee load data lists Federal, Active and Winchester wads.

You need a snug fit in the wad so slug diameter plus petal thickness should be same as or slightly over bore diameter.

I have the Lee load data and at least one other set of listings for the Lee Drive Key slug if you want them.

Longbow