PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!...303 british identification

atr
03-12-2009, 12:02 PM
good morning guys,
I just scored another 303 British, full Military #4MK1/parkarized...

there are some markings on the rifle which I can't identify....

US Property ...an original marking on the left side of the receiver

CAL 303 CDI SWAN VT...this marking appears to be recent

Also, and very interesting, the double stage typical military trigger is unlike any other military triggers in that there is almost NO first stage pull movement until the sear engages and fires.

can anyone help with identification??
also, any thoughts on this trigger??

jonk
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Probably a Savage made rifle. Some Enfields were made in the US and many were in fact stamped US property. The CDI stamp is the importer. Sure it isn't CAI? and St ALB VT? I"ve not heard of CDI but whoever it is, it is the importer stamp.

lavenatti
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Remember the Lend-Lease Act from history class...

atr
03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
jonk,,,
I double checked the markings,,,,

Oldeyes
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
There was a CDI- Swan Vt, but I think they are gone now.I can't remember what the CDI stands for at the moment....
They used to bring in some nice items, my SVT40 is from them, and a K31 I think.
It does sound like a Savage, if the name can't be read the serial number may give a clue. All the Savages I've encountered had long numbers above 1 million with no letters. (I think, tho some days my rememberer is broken).

Hardcast416taylor
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I was always told if it had U.S. Property stamped on the left side of the action it was made by Savage. I remember I got my #4mk1 thru the mail from Spiegal mail order Co. in Chicago along with 100 rds. of mil. ball for $20.99 and a few bucks shipping. Of course that happened back in 1960, before Kennedy. Mine was a Savage made Enfield, still got it and still shoots good.:-DRobert

atr
03-12-2009, 04:24 PM
thanks guys....yes it looks like this IS a savage.....and CDI-SWAN VT is in fact now gone

m.chalmers
03-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, you have a North American made Enfield. Savage and Long Branch are some of the best made #4's. As we didn't have the bombing and such hitting our plants.
Go here to learn:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

The bible to read for Enfields is written by, Skennerton.
See here:
http://www.skennerton.com/

Now, is the rifle a #4MkI* or a #4MkI ?
If a #4MkI DO NOT CUT OR BUBBA THE RIFLE!!!!!!!! She is a little bit rare, read an early Savage.

As already stated the newer mark is from the importer, ie: Law of the land now.

Now, go make some cast loads for the old girl, she'll like em:-)

Beware, one Enfield will breed non stop.

jhrosier
03-12-2009, 05:37 PM
If it is a Savage, It will have a large squared "S" stamped on the side of the receiver.
The Savages and Longbranch guns are very nice guns.
I had a 1958 marked Longbranch and it was quite a shooter.

Jack

corvette8n
03-12-2009, 07:30 PM
he CDI is probably CAI "Century Arms International" they moved everything to FL
a few years ago.

Oldeyes
03-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Classic Distributors, Inc., Swanton, VT. The question came up on Gunboards a while ago.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=93741&highlight=CDI+Swan+Vt

Getting back to your Savage, I'm curious about the barrel- two groove or five?? All I have seen were two groove and I don't know if that was standard for all of them.

atr
03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
yes it is a Savage,,,,has the S stamped on the side
also #4MkI*
I dont intend to modify this rifle in any way..
and yes I know how they breed....Ive already got/had several

I have traced the lack of two stage trigger to a weak sear spring...easy fix
CAL 303 CDI
SWAN VT is Classic Distributors Inc. Swanton, VT..........they are now out of business
thanks again guys,,,as soon as I get this barrel clean Im going to be firing some 185 gr boolits

Gerry N.
03-12-2009, 10:29 PM
yes it is a Savage,,,,has the S stamped on the side
also #4MkI*
I dont intend to modify this rifle in any way..
and yes I know how they breed....Ive already got/had several

I have traced the lack of two stage trigger to a weak sear spring...easy fix
CAL 303 CDI
SWAN VT is Classic Distributors Inc. Swanton, VT..........they are now out of business
thanks again guys,,,as soon as I get this barrel clean Im going to be firing some 185 gr boolits

When you get some time, look on it for Long Branch parts, during the war, Savage and LB shipped parts to each other to keep production up. My '44 LB has a slew of Savage parts, bands, swivels and the buttplate for openers. And yes, it is one of the shootinest milsurps I have. Sweet rifles.

Gerry N.