PDA

View Full Version : Need help which lead to use for slug/shot

overload
03-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi
Just starting to get supplies together for slug and buckshot casting.I need a little help with the following.

From reading past posts,you use pure lead to cast slugs is this correct?

For casting buckshot can I use the Lyman #2 or does it need to be some other mix.

Thanks for any help.

longbow
03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
So far I have had better results with range scrap and/or wheelweights for slugs.

Most slug mould makers and slug loading data says to use pure or soft lead though.

It partly depends on the gun (rifled or smooth) and on the slug type.

What are you shooting and what slug are you planning on loading?

Longbow

overload
03-13-2009, 04:20 AM
I have a Miroku Mk70 12gauge smoothbore,I will be trying to whistle fox's and using the buck shot. The area which I will be hunting in is said to have Goats/Pigs.Its in one of our State Forests,you are only allowed to use shotguns,.22's and bows.So if I see any Goats or Pigs I will be able to use the slugs.

overload
03-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Sorry longbow
forgot .I'm going to get a Lee 1oz slug mold or/and Lyman foster type 475gr

overload

Gunfixer
03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I am shooting the Lyman 525 sabot slug and have had good results using both pure lead and WW. The WW are devastating on pigs, being so much harder. I would think too hard for goat. I am shooting 3 inch out of a Mossberg 835 smooth slug bbl and 2 3/4 inch out of an Ithaca 37 cut off to 18" (also smooth)

longbow
03-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Lee like most of the slug mould makers recommends pure lead but it seems many if not most people get better results with harder alloys.

The buckshot should be hard for sure because it will deform badly if soft and may raise pressures as well.

There is also a lot of good info here too: http://www.nitroexpress.com/

Longbow

zardoz
03-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Longbow, that uh....first link. Something is amiss there.

waksupi
03-14-2009, 10:23 AM
But we did learn something!

;o)

longbow
03-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Somehow I lost a line or two with the link to:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

Longbow

overload
03-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Thanks Guys You have been most helpful

Getting 18lbs soft lead coming over from the U.S.and
Purchased 6lbs of hard lead from a bullet maker there in oZ (both from that famous auction house)

Will canvas some of the Tyres shops around the area for some supplies of WW.
:drinks:

lead Foot
03-16-2009, 05:06 AM
G'day Overload;
I shoot a lot of pigs here in QLD and I find SSG's (#4 buck) is the best for pig's and use soft lead for slugs. I find 7/8 oz slug is better, goes faster even Roy Weatherby said speed kills. Although I get good results with soft lead I haven't tried harder lead. :roll:If you find someone that makes shot mould's local please let me know.
lead Foot;

overload
03-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi Lead Foot

Thanks for the info.

The molds I'm looking at are sold on ebay in the U.S. by Skiesunlimited .As soon as they are listed they are sold.Come in #000,00,I think he does #4's and some others.Priced at "buy it now" of $34.95 plus I think $16.95 post to OZ.Works out at about $81.00 Ea to $85.00 Ea .A bit high in oz dollars but I have seen a Lyman Slug mold at $85.00 at the last gun show I went to.
His molds are multi balls eg the #000 make 20 balls at a time,if you buy more than one he ships second and third for the same price as one.:I don't think here in OZ we will find a mold maker.