PDA

View Full Version : Hornady case prep center tool

Newtire
03-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi,

Wondered if anyone has tried the Hornady case prep center and if so, how is it working out?

Thanks,

Newtire

Bret4207
03-12-2009, 08:07 AM
That's one expensive hunk of equipment. It better peel potatoes and make mounds and mounds of coleslaw too for that price!

Newfoundlander2
03-12-2009, 09:28 AM
It's also HUGE piece of equipment that will take up a fair bit of space on the bench. The sharp rotating toolheads face the user and are a trip to the ER waiting to happen. Stick with a standard horizontal trimmer and a if you need an automated set-up RCBS's is less likely to gouge you both figuratively and literally. Hornady fans will ignore such matters as it's Hornady and red.:wink:

Newtire
03-12-2009, 09:39 AM
The sharp rotating toolheads face the user and are a trip to the ER waiting to happen.

I watched the movie and that's what it looks like to me too!

My Forstner case trimmer "power adaptor" consists of a Makita battery drill, a modified bolt and a coupler I made by double nutting my bolt onto the shaft. Hmmm....if you can buy individual parts for that thing, maybe make up a little stand with a motor to mount the deburring tools onto....

After having made up a hundred or so .256 Newton cases from .270 cases, one starts to look for alternatives! Same with those 8mm Mauser from .30-06 conversions.

Recluse
03-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Looks like a complete waste of money to me. I don't get their thinking on this thing. RCBS's case prep center is $100 give or take. The Hornady is over three times as much with ten times as many bells and whistles.

I'm sure there are yuppie reloaders who figure that it's now impossible to have good reloads without it.

:coffee:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-14-2009, 07:59 AM
One can't always tell why something is more expensive than a product from another company. I do know I have the RCBS and it's motor is small, weak and slow. If the Hornady has a significantly better motor, it's going to cost a good bit more. That said, I wasn't impressed when I looked at the thing and I'm a Hornady fan.

Regards,

Dave

Bret4207
03-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Looks like a complete waste of money to me. I don't get their thinking on this thing. RCBS's case prep center is $100 give or take. The Hornady is over three times as much with ten times as many bells and whistles.

I'm sure there are yuppie reloaders who figure that it's now impossible to have good reloads without it.

:coffee:

Bingo! those are the same guys that start off with a top of the line progressive loader and would never think of buying "second's" or pulled Mil-Surp bullets. Hey, it keeps the makers kids fed!:mrgreen:

BLFD1
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't have the Hornady but I do have the RCBS. The Hornady looks like it costs too much and would burn up too much time...

Well, it looks like I'm the minority. I have one (RCBS) and like it. That said, I have also (like most of us) found ways to make it better.

I am in the process of having a Lee hand trimmer turned down with threads that will screw into the prep center. Then I will be able to trim, inside/outside chamfer, primer pocket clean, neck brush/lube, and military crimp remove in the same location. I also have resisted pulling it apart and seeing how I could make it turn faster. But I think I'll let the warranty run out first. I'll post when I make the above improvements.