PDA

View Full Version : I bought about ten pounds

looseprojectile
03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
of .224 diameter bullets made of .22rf cases. There may be about 1400.
Problem is they have been pulled and have marks from something like lineman pliers/cutters on the ogive.
Should I try to make a die to swage them back to original contour or shoot them as they are? I think that they might be good enough to blast stumps with.
I don't think it would be cost effective to buy forming dies just for a couple of thousand bullets. I don't see this as an oppurtunity to get into swaging big time.
I would shoot them in an AR 15.
I have questions such as, can I make and use a die to straighten them out without a bleed hole in the die? How to eject them from the die? Hollow point is small. I have the ability and tooling to make gun reamers or spoon cutters to cut a die. Any time I enjoy 'wasting' is not wasted.
Do you think it will be possible to bump the dents in the ogive out with such a die or am I just wishful thinking?

Life is good

jcunclejoe
03-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I would shoot them as they are but not in an AR. The twist of an AR is too fast and it will rip the bullets apart in flight.

You could build a swage die to re-form the bullets and it should fix most everything but the scratches. You would have to change something for it to work though, either a different curve or a tighter hollowpoint, something has to change to get the material to move. You could bump the diameter up by 1/2 thou and that would gain you some amount of re-forming.
No need for a bleed hole unless you are planning to bleed and that will not happen for a finished hollowpoint. Bleeding would occur in the lead form die or in some cases for a lead tipped bullet.

Please e-mail me I would like to talk to you about your reamer making ability.
Thanks
Joe
Bend, Oregon
jcunclejoe@aol.com

shooterg
03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Them bullets will shoot just fine in a 1/9 twist AR15. 25.0 of RE15 shoots great in one of mine pushing my 56 grain RF cased homemades.
Haven't tried 'em through the 1/7 so can't speak to that yet. Got a 1/8 in the safe somewhere, eventually I'll hit all the bases !

jcunclejoe
03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the correction, I was speculating. I never tried them myself. I did blow up some Hornady light varmint bullets in a Mini 14 though. Kinda spooky.
Joe