PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a custom mold?

the_ursus
03-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I want to be able to shoot bullets on the softer side but my cylinder throats are .432 and my mold is casting at .431. I wouldn't worry about it too much with hard plain base bullets or soft gas checked but I'd like to shoot softer plain base.

Are there any stock molds that typicaly cast really fat .44 slugs?

Am I making too much of this?

Calamity Jake
03-11-2009, 02:07 PM
.432 Throats, .431 boolets should be about right if you cast soft and use slow for the caliber powder, unique, RD, GD, BD and 2400 just to name a few.

You can also beagle the mold to make the boolets bigger.

You take your chances when buying factory molds for casting fat boolets, sometimes you get lucky, but most times you don't

leftiye
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
We all need several (as many as we canfind/get) custom molds. LOL! Helps a bunch if ya get one in a good design (thas why you want the custom mold, remember).

Lee makes them (both custom, and oversize) fairly cheaply, and Mountain molds makes them to yer specs for about what a Saeco mold costs. Some machinists here who make molds will ream out your existing molds.

jdgabbard
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
We all need several (as many as we canfind/get) custom molds. LOL! Helps a bunch if ya get one in a good design (thas why you want the custom mold, remember).

Lee makes them (both custom, and oversize) fairly cheaply, and Mountain molds makes them to yer specs for about what a Saeco mold costs. Some machinists here who make molds will ream out your existing molds.

Lee makes "Oversized" pistol molds???

leftiye
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Whas the difference? Wouldn't an oversize be a custom, only using Lee's design?

RayinNH
03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
leftiye, I've called Lee before requesting an oversize mould. Apparently they, pulled one that wasn't to tolerance maybe from the scrap barrel. That was at least five years ago. Don't know if they would still do that...Ray

Slow Elk 45/70
03-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Ursus, Ranch Dog has .432 265gr boolit molds , Lee makes them for him on special order.
2 cav is $26, hard to beat and they drop the boolit you are looking for, IMHO.
Just Google Ranch Dog to go to their site.
Good Luck