PDA

View Full Version : RCBS hand pimer users, a question..

Throckmorton
03-11-2009, 10:50 AM
My buddy has one,and when using it the handle hits against the body when squeezed,limiting the seating depth,causing MANY misfires ,requiring second strikes to fire the 30-30 rounds.
He called RCBS,and 'they' said it was normal for the handle to be pressed against the frame when seating primers.
phooey !! IN a perfect world maybe . Being as the handle limits the amount of pressure you can apply,the primer pocket and primer thickness would have to be perfect every time,as would the height of the seating punch.

Tain't likely

IF you have one,or have used one,tell me if you[re able to seat by feel..as it shoujld be..or if your handle hitting the frame is the limiting factor on seating depth.

btw,RCBS is sending a new handle and seating punch,but if they are the same as we alreay have,nothing gained. we'll see.

Thanks boolit shooters !

sqlbullet
03-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I can squeeze the handle of mine until it touches the body, but doing so it not required. In most cases I feel the primer seat about 3/4 of the way down the stroke. Further pressure can deform or ruin a primer.

I would be more likely to think the primers you mention are being over pressed, not under pressed, but I am not sure. I have never had a mis-fire yet.

Richard Lee covers this in his book, and it is usually attributed to too much pressure when seating.

Calehedron
03-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I had some FTFs on some 500S&W rounds I loaded with the RCBS hand primer that uses shellholders. It can depend on shell holder height as to how deep the primers get seated. I bought the universal priming tool and the problem has not happened since. I agree that the seating punch should be a bit longer to take all variances into consideration.

GSM
03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
If it is one of the older hand primers, check to see if the handle is starting to break or is bending (reduces the amount of travel).

Rockchucker
03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I don'r have the RCBS hand primer, although I do use the Lee one and have no problems seating primers. Both must work about the same.

Throckmorton
03-11-2009, 03:57 PM
by golly,i hadn't thought of the shellholder.However,Im pretty sure my buddy's stuff is all RCBS,I'll check that any way.
No,not squeezing hard at all,just 'regular' hand pressure and the handle 'bottoms out' on the frame.IT's a new unit with very little wear so doubtful the handle is breaking.
Will investigate further next tuesday.
Thanks,all !

dubber123
03-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Barring any satisfaction from RCBS, a reasonably handy fella could make a slightly longer seating stem pretty easily, that should cure the problem.

scrapcan
03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I would say try a different shellholder if you have one. I have both a new rcbs with primer tray and cut off and an older style single feed hand primer. Shellholders that fit the old primer will not always fit the new style. I have had to chamfer the bottom of the shellholder to fit properly. Not really your problem but it may make a difference.

1911sw45
03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I had one and it done just as you said it would bottom out before the primer was seated all the way. I sold it very quick! Lee's are far better and never had that problem. They seat just flush and I me just flush out, sticking out a little, so I know it was not bottoming out in the flash hole with the RCBS. Get a LEE!

1911sw45
Adam

GP100man
03-11-2009, 09:13 PM
i`ve tried em all settled on a hornady hand priming tool , the primer tray cover center hold down gives up but nuttin a clothes pin won`t hold down .
& the feel is better than anything i`ve used also .

GP100man:castmine:

smburnette
03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I have an RCBS with the universal shell holder and I can not see any way for the handle to go all the way to the body without deforming a primer...