PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with die question

ETG
03-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Hi all - new to this forum. I got interested in making 223 from 22LR cases. I made a die to straighten out the rim and am currently building an extruder for the cores. I'm looking for advice on which dies are best for the 223. I've looked at Corbin and CH4D. I also saw a post that said to email Larry Blackmon for a flier but the email was returned as undeliverable. I have read the posts on here that I could find but I never saw a comparison of the dies. Does anyone have experience with the different ones and could point out the advantages and disadvantages of each? It seems there are two approaches - form the nose in the die (nose up) or form it with the punch on the ram. Is one better? I have an old Rockchucker press and a Hornady 50BMG press that will take the 1 1/2" dies or the 7/8" with an adaptor. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

teddyblu
03-11-2009, 03:15 PM
ETG
one poster said that Larry Blackmon does not like to email but talks a bunch on the phone
You may try that way His phone no. is listed below

318- 387-7257.

shooterg
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Mail Mr. Blackmon something at : Bullet Swaging Supply, Inc., PO Box 1056, West Monroe, Loisiana 71291.
He makes a kit that converts a RockChucker into great swaging press. His dies are as good as anybody's, and cheaper to boot.

MIBULLETS
03-13-2009, 06:50 AM
ETG, usually if you want to make rifle bullets or any bullet with a smaooth ogive, you would need to form the nose in the die. If you want to make pistol bullets or rifle bullet with a step from the nose to the full diameter section you can do that by forming the nose in the punch. Richard Corbin and Dave Corbin build dies that are basically the same and I own some of each. I do not have any experience with Blackmon's dies, but I have talked to him and he seems alright. I have read on some of the benchrest forums where they mention Blackmon dies be good.

ETG
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks all. Is there a difference between Richard Corbin and Dave Corbin? Is it the same or different companies?

Toobroke
03-13-2009, 09:27 PM
They're brothers (twins, I believe). They use to work together at Corbon's, but went their separate ways some years ago. Richard formed RCE. Reading thru a couple of their old swaging manuals, I got the feeling that Dave was more the writer/office type and Richard was more the hand's on guy...have bought from both and talked to both via email and on the phone, both seem to be nice guys. I ultimately went with Dr Blackmon/BSS dies and press, though.

ETG
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Toobroke, that is exactly the information I was hoping to get.
ETG