PDA

View Full Version : Can different brand 405-grain bullets be loaded to shoot the same?

Naphtali
03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I have Marlin 1895s in 18.5- and 24-inch barrels. I use H322 and IMR 3031 powders with CCI Large Rifle primers. While I have Remington and Winchester brass also, I will be using only Starline 45-70 brass for this query.

I have acquired a supply of Remington 405-grain JFP bullets. I also have a small supply of Alaska Bullet Works 405-grain SPFN. I can work up loads where these bullets will have essentially identical muzzle velocities. My hunting area's maximum range, probably mine also, is 150 yards.

How closely will trajectories of these bullets correspond? ABW bullets are a dollar each while Remingtons are about 35¢ each. If feasible, I'd like to practice with Remingtons and hunt ABWs.

Larry Gibson
03-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Best way to know (probably the only way to know) is load 9 rounds of each and shoot 3 shot groups at 50, 100 and 150 yards with each without changing the sights after each is zeroed at 100 yards. Compare the center of each group at each range with each other.

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
03-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Well like Larry said, but I'll add if you have a chronograph jacketed and cast of the same weight will use different charges of the same powder because the friction going down the bore is different between the two alloys. You can see with the same load what they are doing like Larry said, but will find one will have a different velocity.

Joe

Slow Elk 45/70
03-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Larry and Star are right on, and they are both right about what they say, shoot to the same point of aim , don't change anything and record.

I have found in my own test that they will impact differently, if you want to have it both ways, you will have to play with the powder and adjust velosities to get the POA really close. You will get a lot of practice which is a good thing.

As long as you shoot enough to know the difference, set your sights for the Boolit you want to hunt with and practice, if POA is off a bit , do you care? Your practice should be to be one with your rifle. Find a load that is accurate with your hunting boolit , then practice all you want with the cheaper slugs
Good shooting and hunting

softpoint
03-11-2009, 10:27 PM
I have loaded the remington bullet (405) and the RCBS cast bullet of similar weight to shoot same point of impact to about 150 yards in my B78 browning. I just worked up a satisfactory load with the jacketed bullet first, then loaded the cast to similar velocity out of the load manual, then tweaked the powder a little bit .