PDA

View Full Version : New Rossi / Puma 1892 in 44 Mag and 357 Mag. Suggested mods for SASS?

Four Fingers of Death
04-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Just picked up a new stainless 44 and a used 357.

I intend to shoot the 44 in competition and carry the 357 as a spare/loaner for new shooters.

Any recommended tuning tips/mods to make these rifles smoother/more reliable more accurate?

Mick.

Buckshot
04-08-2005, 02:13 AM
...............Mick, my only expereince with these was a buddy bought a stainless 357 for his wife. They're both SASS competitors. It shot okay considering the front sight was leaning to the left at maybe 11:30?. Guess the barrel was turned in too tight. When it got to his gunsmith he just turned the barrel back to make it straight. Just a few thou was all it took.

Before it went to his gunsmith though I got to take it apart, as it was VERY tight. After range time we went to my house. When I got it apart I found the innards to be not as well finished as could be. Oh the surfaces were smooth and all that but on corners and some edges were 'pigs ears' of metal bits hanging off and some corners and edges were very sharp and somewhat serrated, like.

I used jeweler's files, Cratex and a carbide lathe insert to just cleanup edges and knock off all the little hangers on. Flushed the action out with carb cleaner, oiled it and re-assembled. It was noticeably smoother but still tight. My friend eventually took it to his gunsmith who specializes in Cowboy action hardware. After that re-work and some spring replacement it was like a totally different gun.

I doubt that what I saw inside this rifle was indicative of the whole type. Usually some judicious work with some Cratex bobs, 600-1000 paper and oil would make a world of difference. After that, shooting it will put the fional finish on it!

......................Buckshot

KCSO
04-11-2005, 11:54 AM
You may need to slug the bore first as on the 44's I have found some that run as large as .430. A lot of molds throw a .429 bullet as cast an they obviously won't shoot worth a hoot in the 430 bbl. I shoot a Rossi 44 with a beagled bullet from a Lee mold 200 gr rnfp for the 44-40. Thse are shooting 3" groups at 100 yards with buckhorn sights and with 7 grains of Unique they are very pleasant to shoot. For the 357 I am using a Saeco 180 gr rnfp bullet that is exceptionally accurate. I have one target shot in front of witnesses that put 5 shots at 100 yards into 1 1/2" with 3 shots touching. My Rossi 357 was purchased as a Patrol Rifle in the early 70's and has been used for that for years before it became my wife's Cowboy gun. It seems to shoot everything at least good, but it really likes the 158 and above bullets.
Both guns do very well with black powder and the 44 like 30 grains of FFG and the 200 gr bullet cast from wheel weights. I have had to slick up the current crop of Rossi's but my old one was very good from the box and afet 30 years of use the action works itself.

Four Fingers of Death
04-13-2005, 07:14 AM
I have had to slick up the current crop of Rossi's but my old one was very good from the box and afet 30 years of use the action works itself.

The Rossis were very popular here in Australia 30 odd years ago and then seemed to disappear. The 44s sold here were no problem, but a lot of my friends (who were keen target pistol shooters an shot 38/357 S&Ws in the main) had lots of trouble with the 357. There still seems to be a lot of them around though, probably had things sorted out years ago. I have the 357 in my safe. It is one of the current bunch. The spo (stupid previous owner) seems to have used some oil which has gone very tacky and seems to have gummed things up. I will have to disammemble, degrease,dehorn, deburr and polish it (couldn't think of a 'd' word for polish/slicken up). I think it will be fine after that. Two of the dedicated blackpowder shooters that visit my club for the weekend shoots use SS 44 Rossis to great effect. Big bang, lots of smoke, it dosen't get any better than that! :)
Mick.
PS, I am heading off from work tomorrow and will drive at warp speed for 125 miles to pick up the SS44Mag, it arrived today. I won't be able to use it for a few weeks, but I just gotta go get it and bring it home!!

PS When the wife and I first got together, I bought her a 22 Pump action Rossi Gallery. I wanted to make sure she was cool with guns before I got really committed. She still has the Rossi and a 22 Browning Medallist pistol that I bought her a few years later. She has just got back into shooting, now I have to buy a 22 Pistola, because she has taken hers back!