PDA

View Full Version : Belding and Mull

dubber123
03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Any experience with Belding and Mull powder measures? I just picked one up. A friend swears by them, but then again, he's a bit odd.... [smilie=1: Thanks.

shooter93
03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
across the board it's probably the most accurate measure for all types of powders with the exception of bench rest measures like Harrels. It is slower than other measures but does stick powders very well. I have 3 of them as well as a number of other measures but use them for stick powders.

Gary51
03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
One of the best measures made. Have owned several of them and regret letting them go.

Hardcast416taylor
03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Once you get the drop tube calibrated it drops very regular loads. :)Robert

Bret4207
03-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Extremely accurate, very nice with the heavy stick powders, love mine.

Green Frog
03-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Extra step moving separate drop tube from measure to shell, but extremely accurate. I use one for my schuetzen bench gun and H108 powder with boringly consistent results. Yes, I love it!

Froggie

John Boy
03-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Here's a comparison done with 4 different powder chargers, including the B&M done in 2006. The results might surprise one ...
http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037

mikenbarb
03-11-2009, 12:09 AM
I love the ones I own(3 of them) and always perfect drops once you get it set. I have never seen any varience in drops in mine using smokeless powder and I have tested it many times and always drops within 1/10th grain accuracy with 748 and 2400 and the flake and extruded are dead on also. I dont think that guy that did the test above did it proper and must have done something wrong to have that much difference with a B&M. Its a volume measure so its real hard to vary that much with a B&M unless he was inconsistent with how he used the measure and was slamming or moving the tube while making a drop or something like that.

Bret4207
03-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Here's a comparison done with 4 different powder chargers, including the B&M done in 2006. The results might surprise one ...
http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037

I don't know who ran the test, but I ain't buying it. Something is wrong there. Consistency is the key with any measure and it makes no sense to me that the B+M should be near the bottom of the list. Something is amiss there. I have a B+M, Redding BR and Lyman 55. I'll see if I can do a short test of my own.

Green Frog
03-11-2009, 09:42 AM
John Boy, I don't doubt that you got those results, but they do surprise me more than a little. I get about that good consistency with a #5 Micrometer and 4759, and am sure that the fine H108 I use in the B&M is way more consistent throw to throw.

As to weighed vs thrown (volumetric) charges... what are the modern bench rest boys doing? Most are using one of the Culver style measures such as the Harrell, and they would do whatever they thought would make their loads more equal in performance! I shoot lead at schuetzen and off the bench and use that B&M with a custom-made micrometer drop tube (uses a Starrett mic head) and can't imagine any way I'm at a disadvantage there! Just my $.02.

Froggie

scrapcan
03-11-2009, 10:41 AM
When you use it you may want to put some sort of block behing the measure to keep the B&M Wobble to a minimum. when you use it you will know aht I am tlaking about. You can also find a lighter spring or lighten the one you have.

You can also find several different metering chambers or make your own. There were standard, magnum, and micrometer type factory chambers. You might also want to visit the message forums section of the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association website.

If you have other B&M loadign tools I am looking for pieces/parts/whole units. If you have some you want to pass along give me a shout.

BD
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I have two of the B&Ms and find that they are far better than anything else I've tried for long stick powders like Varget, or RL25. I wound up routing a "seat" into the top of my bench for the base of the measure to keep it from moving around, and I move the lever twice for each load with the stick powders. This gives me consistency as good as trickled charges on the RCBS 505, and does it faster.

Weighing out individual charges using powders where you can read the effect of a single grain on the beam is a pretty tedious process, and I've seen no indication that it's worth the time.

BD

dubber123
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, the general consensus seems to be I have a good measure! I will have to give it a test run, and check out consistancy. Thanks for the information.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-01-2009, 02:01 AM
MVA is making them now, and that is all I use for Black Powder or substitutes.

Accurate with Black or 777 to +/- .005gr

Rich
Buff Killer