PDA

View Full Version : Will I have a problem?

WildmanJack
03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
If I load up some .45-70 shells with black, will I have a detonation problem if I use Large Pistol Primers, or do you think will they be seated too deep to be struck in my Pedersole Sharps? Finding anything other than large and samll pistol primers around here is like pulling the lips off a duck!!!
Thanks again for the info ..
Jack

Gussy
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Many shooters of black use pistol primers (on purpose, not because of any shortage). Just make sure the case is FULL, as in NO air space and you will not have any problem (unless Murphy's around).

longhorn
03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I'veI not reloaded for a Pedersoli Sharps replica, but the Sharps design is notable for a robust primer strike--I think ignition will be fine. OTOH, I'd be very careful to pull the hammer back to half-cock before dropping the block, as it seems to me that the (possibly?) thinner cups of the pistol primers plus the slightly shorter primers might lead to "sticking" of the pin in the primer. I'd try it, but I'd probably load only a few to try. I seem to recall that some black powder cartridge shooters have used large pistol primers in the past, looking for a "mild" ignition.

August
03-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Pistol primers are preferred as the ignition is more gradual. The Chronograph doesn't lie!!!

I only use pistol primers after a rough start, years ago, using magnum match primers at the behest of some "guru" on the internet. Those things never shot well.

John Boy
03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I shoot LP primers using a 45-70 Sharps and HiWall. Not a problem with them igniting or primer hits. Never had a misfire yet

WildmanJack
03-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys, That's the answer I was hoping for..
Man am I glad I don't hav eto go searching for rifle primers!!!!
Jack

Don McDowell
03-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Some of the so small their almost scary groups from one of my rifles were fired using large pistol magnum primers.

cajun shooter
03-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I've seen some of John Boy's posted targets and if yours shoots as well you won't be dissapoointed. Don, is also a long time shooter that has some useful advise even if he won't ship cans. Ha!! Ha!!

RMulhern
03-13-2009, 12:29 PM
If you're worried about the head of the primer being lower than the head of the cartridge case head......take a small piece of regular bonding paper....fold it over so it will fit between the head of the case and your shell holder and seat a primer. The primer will punch through the paper and your primer will be raised about .008"! Common practice amongst tgt shooters in BPCR!!:drinks::coffee::castmine:[smilie=1:

Flinchrock
03-13-2009, 09:09 PM
If I load up some .45-70 shells with black, will I have a detonation problem if I use Large Pistol Primers, or do you think will they be seated too deep to be struck in my Pedersole Sharps? Finding anything other than large and samll pistol primers around here is like pulling the lips off a duck!!!
Thanks again for the info ..
Jack

It is the Holy Black,,,you get it lit,,,it will do the rest,,,

John Boy
03-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Jack, might add ... there is a trend of late to put a paper wad over the primer hole and use LP primers. Might want to try it yourself and see if your groups tighten up.

The trend started with newspaper, then to construction paper (0.010), now to double construction paper wads. I've loaded some with XRay backing paper and the groups were a tad smaller. My next experiment will be a 1/16" felt wad over the primer hole

WildmanJack
03-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try the bond paper thing. That sounds like a good idea..
Jack

BPCR Bill
03-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Jack, might add ... there is a trend of late to put a paper wad over the primer hole and use LP primers. Might want to try it yourself and see if your groups tighten up.

The trend started with newspaper, then to construction paper (0.010), now to double construction paper wads. I've loaded some with XRay backing paper and the groups were a tad smaller. My next experiment will be a 1/16" felt wad over the primer hole

John, be careful about a wad like that under the powder. Some shooters have noted that wads positioned like that sometimes do not exit the barrel. Check the spout after each shot.

Regards,
Bill

Baron von Trollwhack
03-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Ned Roberts suggests in his "Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" book that the caplock shooters of the early days preferred the mildest cap that would reliably ingite the charge. Many modern shooters who use pistol primers even put a disc cut of newspaper in the bottom of the case under the charge with very good results. BvT

John Boy
03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
John, be careful about a wad like that under the powder. Some shooters have noted that wads positioned like that sometimes do not exit the barrel. Check the spout after each shot.
Bill, good advice and I will do the checking. I didn't give this a thought though. Pure wool felt turns to charcoal at 212 F and at ignition, the temperature will be about 2300 C

What I'm trying to find is the softest primer flash that will ignite the powder and generate the lowest shock wave (brisance) against the powder charge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisance

martinibelgian
03-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes, but paper burns at a much lower temp - and I can still find intact paper and card overpowder wads. don't forget the duration of the high temp is extremely short.

BPCR Bill
03-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I have gone to the overprimer wads (newsprint seated in the primer pocket) with excellent results. While breechseating in a black powder cartridge, I use the wool felt wad as a filler in the gap between the cartridge mouth / overpowder card wad and the boolit base.

Regards,
Bill

montana_charlie
03-15-2009, 11:35 AM
What I'm trying to find is the softest primer flash that will ignite the powder and generate the lowest shock wave (brisance) against the powder charge
What is the goal, John?

Do you want the least amount of 'stirring up' of the powder, a 'slow burn' from starting with a tiny fire, or insufficient pressure 'push the stack' out of the case prematurely?

CM