PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with it?

Lead melter
03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
A recent package purchase provided me with about half a dozen cans of Goex black in Fg and FFg granulations. All the cans have been opened [at least there are no paper seals on the cans], but do not appear to have gotten wet since there is no clumping. Is there a way to tell if it is contaminated? If some different granulations have gotten mixed, is it safe to shoot. What can I do with it, since I have no experience at all with the black stuff?
Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

MT Chambers
03-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Lord hates a coward, Let 'er rip!!

fishhawk
03-10-2009, 02:47 PM
well for one i never found a paper seal on a can in over 30 years. second it's not like your mixing reddot and unique it all black powder. third if it got wet it dries. fourth SHOOT IT!

northmn
03-10-2009, 03:32 PM
There were some BP cartridge shooters that used to mix a little fine powder in with the coarse to speed up ignition. As stated shoot it. IF works good in big guns like 45-120's and ML Shotguns. 2F is used in about everything.

Northmn

big boar
03-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I think Mike Venturino, a very well known black powder shooter and writer, has used black that was made a long long time ago and said it worked just a well as anything new. I'd shoot it.

BPCR Bill
03-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I loaded up some old DuPont from maybe 60 years ago, just waitng to go out and shoot it, compare it to my Swiss, GOEX, Schuetzen, etc. I have some newer powders out in my shed and I have to screen the clumps out of them if I let them sit out there too long, especially over the winter. Load it and have some fun!

Regards,
Bill

August
03-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Black is not as sensitive to changes in loading or granulation (speed) as smokeless powders. If I had your cans, they'd be in my MEC, making shotshells.

Southern Son
03-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Lead melter, like everyone else here says, load it and light it up. I have read a couple of articles in magazines and on the internet about guys using old powders (50 years old +). I think the oldest was a can made pre WW1. Like everyone says, black is different (guys in my shooting clubs have said that guys who shoot balck are also different).

NickSS
03-11-2009, 05:19 AM
Don't worry about it as it is all good. If it gets damp and clumps up just sift it through a sifter and shoot it. I had some old (over 100 years old given to me awhile back and it worked just fine. In fact it was some of the best stuff I ever used. The guy who gave it to me found it in a trunk that had been in the attic of a 150 year old house and it was DuPont diamond grade powder

Lead melter
03-11-2009, 07:56 AM
OK, if I load it in my 45/70 below a 405 grainer [RCBS 45-405-FP] and let it rip from my Handi, do I need to scrub out the complete action, just the bore, everything in sight or what. Hot, soapy water is the cleaner of choice, I understand, followed by a light oiling.

Lead the virgin down the path here folks.

cajun shooter
03-11-2009, 08:16 AM
You clean just as you would with any shooting that's done. You just use different cleaners. Seen if you have some BP shooters in your area and get with them. They will more than likely give you some made up moose milk and help you along. You do know that when you fire that first round that a BP smoke cloud will enter your body and put a trance on you. There is no known cure and you will start hanging out with these different looking guys. Later David

Boerrancher
03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I got hooked on the Holy Black in my 45-70 back a few months ago, and haven't looked back. Here in the Valley that I live in, I shoot all the time, but even my 300 win mag doesn't even come close to thunder that echo's for miles up and down the valley like 70+ grains of the Holy Black being touched off. Take my advice, don't shoot it in your 45-70 or you will be hooked forever it is more addictive than casting. Buy you some cannon fuse and use it for blowing out stumps or something, but don't shoot it or you will be condemned to a life time of shooting black powder cartridges. Next thing you know you will be collecting both rifles and and revolvers in 45LC, 44-40, 38-40, and such just so you can shoot more of the Holy Black. It is a terrible affliction so stop where you are and proceed no further.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe