PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose for Lee's Lube Cutter?

Naphtali
03-10-2009, 12:25 PM
What is the purpose for Lee Lube Cutters? My initial guess is that they reduce excessive bullet lubricant from .45-, ,50-, and .54-caliber Lee R.E.A.L. bullets and comparable Maxiball-style muzzleloading bullets. But depending upon whether they simultaneously size bullets, they might also be usable in place of a lubrisizer -- if Lube Cutter has correct-for-barrel I.D.

Maven
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Were they sold separately or in conjunction with a lube and sizing kit. If the latter, I think you were supposed to cut the CB's from the lube (round pan was part of the kit) and use the sizing die and flat punch to size nose first and trim the excess lube: Slow, low tech, but effective.

KCSO
03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
They don't size the bullet they are just to cut them from the pan of lube. Ideal also made a similar gizzie and sold it from about 1878 to the 1970's.

Goatlips
03-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Here's a pic of a Lube Cutter, used to cut pan lubed boolits from the lube cake. :mrgreen: More on this here:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing4.html

Goatlips

jimkim
03-11-2009, 01:06 AM
So it was Lee's version of the Lyman Kake-Kutter. I almost bought an old Lee sizing kit on eBay a few months ago. I didn't because I didn't recognize anything. Now I wish I had. It even had a solid sheet of Alox with it.