PDA

View Full Version : Lee Sizer

brad925
03-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I am new to this so here comes the STUPID? Can i size my 45-70 bullets in a lee sizer dry or should i use say a litle case lube on them? I will be pan lubing them so thats why i ask.

jcwit
03-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Instructions say to lube them to prevent leading of the sizer. I used to spray mine with a dry lube like teflon spray.

chuebner
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Pan lube them first, then size. Keep it simple. I tumble lube 45-70 bullets in LLA for smokeless and pan lube in modified Emmert's for blackpowder. Depending on the rifle, I either size to .459 with a modified Lee push thru or load as cast.

charlie

Pepe Ray
03-10-2009, 02:36 PM
If you must size before lubing, dip your boolets in a RICH soap 'n water sol'n. first.
P.R.

Maven
03-10-2009, 03:28 PM
brad, Pepe Ray's suggestion is probably the the most effective and least expensive. Diluted Lee Liquid Alox is another option, but you may not like the stickiness or odor. Option #3 is to use wire pulling lube that you get from Home Depot, Lowes, et al. It is as effective as the soap & water solution, but dries much faster. You can apply it by squirting it on the CB's and rolling them between your palms to disperse it (You don't need much.) or by putting it in a margarine tub and swirling the CB's around in it as you would with Liquid Alox.

JSnover
03-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Lube them with anything, it'll be a lot easier to size them. Before each lot I like to clean the sizer with a q-tip or toothpick to get any dried lube, bits of lead, dust, etc. I pre-lube it with a quick squirt of One Shot to slick it up for the first few boolits. After that my pan-lubed 45-70s slip through without too much effort.

04heritage
03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
ditto on the lubing first !

Dale53
03-17-2009, 12:46 AM
If you are going to pan lube, then do it first, THEN size. It will have no ill effect on the lube, the lube will ease the bullet through the die, and it is fast and efficient.

I have pan lubed all of my BPCR Silhouette bullets and THEN sized them with the Lee sizer. It is a superior way to size soft bullets (push through die nose first) - no damage to the bullet and relatively fast.

Dale53