PDA

View Full Version : New Colt

DanM
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
My Shooting buddy just got a brand new Commander. We shot it yesterday, and it did well. Tried to disassemble, and the slide stop is stuck. Really stuck. Tried whacking it with a dowel rod and hammer, with no joy. Dang it is tight. don't want to have to ship it back to Colt, but may have to. Suggestions?

MtGun44
03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Use a small screwdriver to push the slide stop plunger rearward with the edge
of the blade. It is likely popped into the slot in the slide stop. Don't hit it,
you'll break it.

This plunger is on the front end of the plunger tube that controls the thumb safety.
If you have hammered this much, you have may have loosened the rivets
that hold the plunger tube to the frame, which requires a very special tool
and some skill to retighten. Once it is apart, check the plunger tube for looseness.
Any wiggle will get worse, possibly tying up the gun and should be repaired by a
good 1911 armorer.

No offense, but don't take a hammer if you don't know how to dissassemble
any firearm, it will save you money to ask or buy a firearms dissassembly book.

For dis/re-assembly you have to watch this little plunger. For reassembly, line up
the slide notch and start in the slide stop, making sure you get thru the bbl link,
then in one smooth motion, push the angled surface of the top rear edge of the slide
stop in and up - the angle depresses the plunger, and you must avoid dropping the
plunger into the square sided slot. Be careful not to scratch the frame, too.

Bill

DanM
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Jeez....I should have remembered to try that. I have installed plunger pin tubes before. Just did not think of the little pin holding back the slide stop. Wood dowel, so no damage done....

MtGun44
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Let me know if that was the problem.

Hope there was no damage. :-D

Bill