PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a 1911 in 45acp

buck1
03-10-2009, 12:50 AM
:Fire: I started reloading as soon as I started shooting, and always resisted the urge for a center fire semi auto. I hate to search for brass.
But lately I have been wanting one, a GOOD 1911 in .45 acp.
I have Cadillac tase but a Chevrolet paycheck. :violin:
So for about $600-700ish what do you guys recomend?
PS no plastic please , I am alergic to it, it makes me break out in bad language.
and it needs to be cast boolit friendly.
Thanks in advance.........Buck

Muddy Creek Sam
03-10-2009, 12:58 AM
I just got a Colt O1918 1911WW1 (http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47333)Little more than you want to go, Second Choice was the SA 1911 GI. I just had to have the Pony To go with my @nd Gen 1851 Navys.

Sam :D

j20owner
03-10-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm a little biased, but I'd recommend a Dan Wesson PM7 or RZ-45. The list price on CZ's website (http://czusa.com/products_handguns_dw.php) is a little over $1100(I know, over your budget) but they are superb examples of the 1911 family.

be603
03-10-2009, 02:15 AM
In that price range:

Springfield Armory GI or Milspec model
Tauras PT1911

Forged frames on both of them. A worthy platform for later upgrading if you're so inclined. Not the cast frame of cheaper 1911's such as the Rock Island.

Snapping Twig
03-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Save up the extra and get a DW.

Go less and it's a crap shoot. You may end up with something good and wonder what we were talking about, if so, God bless and we're happy for you.

If not...

Honest - it's worth the extra.

My CBOB shoots lead like nobody's business.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47579

waksupi
03-10-2009, 03:37 AM
If you can tough it out, I'm going to suggest you wait for a little bit on getting a 1911. Something very good is in the near future you may want in on.

MtGun44
03-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Save a bit, shop hard and get the Dan Wesson. Highest quaility out there
under $2500. Buy the best and cry once. My Pointman 7 was $850 18 mo ago,
you should be able to go well under $1000 now, depending on the area.

Use the search feature and search on Taurus and Dan Wesson.

The Taurus is a Yugo, the Dan Wesson is a Rolls Royce for a Buick price, so the
upgrade from Chevy budget isn't too great. ;-)

Bill

KYCaster
03-10-2009, 11:00 AM
The best value in a 1911 right now is STI Trojan. You won't get the same features and quality from anybody else without spending 300 to 400 more.

But that's just my not-so-humble opinion.
Jerry

skeet1
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Buck1
I know that some have made fun of the Charles Daily 1911 but I have owned .45s of several different makes and my new Charles Daily is by far the most accurate and has the most extras than any of the others for the money. You might want to check one out before you buy.

Skeet1

Char-Gar
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Four years ago I bought a Norinco 1911A1 for $250. I like it so much I bought another a year later and it cost me $325. You can no longer import these pistols, but they are around. Don't sell these Chinese pistols short!! Their slides are milled from one piece of tool steel and hardened to perfection. The frames are forged and all parts interchange will any standard 1911AI part. The barrels are chrome lined and of good quality. They are accurate, reliable and very long lived. Most certainly you can pick one up for well below your price ceiling.

I also have a 2003 vintage Colt Govt. Model that is a good pistol. I paid about $650.00 for it NIB. I also had a Springer mil-spec. The accuracy range was in the 4.5 to 5 inch range at 25 yards. I changed out the barrel and installed a good Colt ss barrel and the groups were cut in half instantly.

buck1
03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
If you can tough it out, I'm going to suggest you wait for a little bit on getting a 1911. Something very good is in the near future you may want in on.

Thanks for all your help guys!! :drinks:

Waksupi is privi to sumtin cooking here abouts:-D, and good things come to those who wait. Sooo I will be looking over yalls recomendations and sitting on my mad money a bit longer. Heck I held out 25 years, I can hold on a little longer[smilie=1:.

technetium-99m
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
If you shoot a lot then I'd stay away from the Taurus. Mine had parts falling off starting around 6-7 thousand rounds and there's not much left now that we're at round 10,000. I would give an honest look at an SA milspec. There are a lot of good guns in the 700 ish price range, just shop around and ask for peoples opinions if they have a gun you're curious about.

Just one honest piece of advice. Upgrading sights on pistols which use the dovetail/staked on front arrangement will limit your options if you want to change. I will never buy/build another gun without commonly used dovetail dimensions, just my position.

GT

August
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Springfield GI or Mil Spec. Their customer service is tops!!!

hedgehorn
03-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Get yourself a Springer you wont be sorry.

buck1
03-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks all!!!...Buck

BD
03-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Another route to consider: We're moving into tough economic times. It wouldn't surprise me if we started seeing safe queens for sale used @ $500 and under by this summer. There were an awful lot of series 1 Kimbers sold in this country and they are very well made 1911s with just a few MIM parts that may/may not need to be replaced.

BD

trickyasafox
03-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I got my stainless milspec in that price range- I love it. mine has been fed almost lead exclusively.

Doc_Stihl
03-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Or you can take the route of going and buying the cheapest 1911 you can find. SHOOT THE PI$$ out of it and have fun. Then when you get a REALLY nice Dan Wesson or Kimber, you'll appreciate it more and realize where the quality helps.

Boerrancher
03-13-2009, 04:20 PM
In 1992 I bought my Springfield Armory 1911. Since then I have put over 20K rounds through it and it is still just as good today as it was then. I have taken care of it and properly maintained it over the years and it is one of my goto guns.

Best wishes from the Boer ranch,

Joe

hoosierlogger
03-13-2009, 05:28 PM
I picked up a Springfield A1 GI at the last indy1500 gun show. Got a holster two mag holder and 3 mags for $275 and 10 after market AR-10 20 rd mags that I found hidden in the woods on some property my company bought. The price on the tag was $499 I love it takes 230 TC's good.

rmaster14145
03-13-2009, 06:19 PM
every man needs at least 1 1911

rm

Sprue
03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Springfield -they throw brass in a pile, you dont have to walk far :-D

hoosierlogger
03-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Springfield -they throw brass in a pile, you dont have to walk far :-D

not mine it will throw brass every where. Some of them go to the left, some go behind me, hit the bill of your hat. I have never seen such a thing.

waco
03-14-2009, 01:21 AM
KIMBER,KIMBER,KIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
had mine about 8 years, and shoy MANY others......
you can not beat the quality and price for an out of the box 1911
waco:Fire:

MtGun44
03-14-2009, 03:34 AM
There are many quality 1911s out there, but I would suggest that anyone
in the market or with an interest in these pistols handle and really handle and
very closely look at the current Dan Wesson 1911s before you make up your mind.

Bill

azrednek
03-14-2009, 04:43 AM
every man needs at least 1 1911

rm

Why only one??

Boerrancher
03-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Why only one??

He did say, "at least one."

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Lloyd Smale
03-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Ive got a few suggestions. I have had good luck with sti colt and kimber and not such good luck with springfields. I like the sti trojan suggestion. Mines a sweet gun but its a bit more costly then your looking at. Id look seriously at the sti spartan. I doubt youll ever find more of a 1911 at the price they get for them.

MtGun44
03-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Boer Rancher got it right.

Minimum one 1911. ;-)

Bill

hoosierlogger
03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
the bullets are on their way. Let us know how they work out for you. They are rolled with a light coat of LLA to keep em from corroding, I wasnt sure how long it would be before I used them.

captain-03
03-15-2009, 12:47 AM
I have 3 45acp pistols that I routinely shoot. 1) Colt Mark IV Series '70 Gold Cup, 2) Springfield 1911, 3) Glock 21. They all shoot great. I would purchase another Springfield -- the only thing I do not like about it is the sights strickly GI!!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/45acp.jpg

PS: The Colt was the first pistol I ever owned - I am now 57 - I could not begin to guess how many rounds have been fired through it!!

buck1
03-15-2009, 03:52 AM
I post this slightly red faced , but untill this thread I had never heard of STI.
I found a pic of a 9mm but wile not the .45 I want, it shows to be fruit of the same tree and a good looking pice of iron.
My local gun shops just have XDs and other combat tupperwear. I am just too darn old fashioned, I just cant get used to plastic, my loss I'm sure.
Thanks for the GREAT HELP ALL!!

Heavy lead
03-15-2009, 04:56 AM
I post this slightly red faced , but untill this thread I had never heard of STI.
I found a pic of a 9mm but wile not the .45 I want, it shows to be fruit of the same tree and a good looking pice of iron.
My local gun shops just have XDs and other combat tupperwear. I am just too darn old fashioned, I just cant get used to plastic, my loss I'm sure.
Thanks for the GREAT HELP ALL!!

Yeah, I thought the same thing, so I bought some tupperware, just cause I thought I needed to, it's a good pistol and a good shooter so I won't slam it by mentioning the brand, but I simply hate it, ugly, plastic, ugly,
Did I mention plastic?

Cloudpeak
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Buck1,

I have a STI Trojan in 9mm. An outstanding pistol. My latest purchase was a Dan Wesson CBOB, another good one. I also have a Springfield 45 SS Loaded which is a good pistol with a great warranty and costs a bit less than the other two mentioned.

For the price range you mentioned, I'd check out the RIA. I've read quite a bit about them and they seem like a very good value and people seem to be happy with them. Here's a link that might be of interest:

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Cloudpeak

mike in co
03-16-2009, 07:18 PM
ok guys, most of you have posted lovely refferences to all kinds of 1911's....none of which follow his guide lines....the dan wessons are all over 1200 dollars...twice his goal!

so how about some valid answers.
a 600-700 dollar 45 1911.
he did not say he was gonna shoot it daily nor in competition......
i'm sure if he had wanted a 1300/1500...2000 plus dollar gun he would have asked that.
i'm with him....a reliable 1911 for 6-700 us dollars.....

inquiring minds want to know....

mike in co
( ps i think the answer is a taurus 1911...i handle a few this weekend....seem the gun is a toss up, but we are on the bottom end of the class)

Muddy Creek Sam
03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
EMF has a new one out, but is not on the website yet, Taurus, and Springfield have some in that Price range around here. I would go to http://www.galloryofgun/genie and put in 1911 and see what popped up.

Sam :D

hoosierlogger
03-17-2009, 01:25 AM
see post # 20 on this thread.

MtGun44
03-17-2009, 03:22 AM
DW Pointman 7 was $925 in KC three weeks ago. Current web
full retail is $1158. With current 0bama hysteria, you probably
can't get much discount.

Still, far better fit and quality than anything up to $2500.

Like I said before, Rolls Royce at a Buick price, or a Chevy
at a Chevy price. I know that money is tight now for many
and the extra $$ may just not be there. I've been in that
situation myself, but these are the facts.

Bill

Hunter 24095
03-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Look at the Kimber pro series I have a pro carry and an ultra carry and have not had one problem after several thousand rounds between the two and lately I have seen the pro carry for 750.00-799.00.

revolver junkie
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
i wont buy another taurus firearms period. You call to get a part that literally fell off the after a few hundred rounds and they say the'll send em. So i had to buy them on my own to fix a factory defect and you have to pay to send the gun back $60 like He!!. i got rid of the gun and they still havent sent the dang parts and they want to charge you for them. not to mention the barrel lug channel in the frame was lager than it needed to be. no point in having a match barrel with an oversised lug if it dosen't fit the frame .. DUH HU.

morel of the story i should have bought a a stripped down gi or spent more money.

now I got the 1911 bug again either a kimber a colt or those S&Ws feel pretty nice.
ill have to look again tom.
RJ

mike in co
04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
ok guys...i said i was in the same boat.
seems that there were a couple of basic 1911 45's available. springfield, rock, tarus.....and then along came PARA ORD USA......
why would para compromise thier name on a "cheap" 1911.....well i hope they did not compromise.
i just bought a GI EXPERT/PARA from davidsons. a just out gun, no reviews and few available. even at davidsons, its up to the salesman to pick who gets a gun...i was lucky, our salesman had just got 2....and i got one of them. should be here next week. once it's here a run a bunch of ammo thru it.
no big bells and whistles....just a 1911 45acp....all i wanted.
msrp is $599

mike in co

EMC45
04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
You think? I thought that was a given.

mtgrs737
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
You can't go wrong with a Springfield, or a colt, but my first choice would be a Springer.

wilddog45
04-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I bought a colt series 80 not to long ago for $700. It is a good shooter and accurate but I hate the new trigger safety gizmo that makes it more difficult to put together than a 1911, but if you can find one I would buy the WW1 or WW2 repro 1911. I hear they are real good.

jack19512
05-01-2009, 04:15 AM
So for about $600-700ish what do you guys recomend?

This is what I have. It is within your price range.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/32592

JKH
05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
glad to finally here someone mention Para-Ordnance! They make some really great pistols and used can be found in very good price ranges that fit your budget.

I currently carry an old school stainless P10-45, no stupid bells and whistles, I hate a firearm with all kinds of crap hanging off it that only clutters things up and overly complicates things. I also had an alloy frame P10-45 when they first hit the market, wish I had never traded it off, and for a Colt no less! Argghhh.

I have one more 1911, due to the hasssle of getting pistols registered on my NYS pistol permit I have dropped to only 3 pistols, the second 1911 is a Rock Island Armory GI, the only thing I have done is put a WWII vintage arched mainspring housing with lanyard loop and a set of WWI vintage Colt full checkered walnut stocks. The sights are a bit small for my oldish astigmatic eyes but I can sure give a 10" plate hell at 25 yards! 100% function out of the box and it only cost me $374 including shipping and my dealers fee, I purchased mine through SARCO.

The 3rd pistol in my stable is a Kel-Tec P3AT, all I can say is WOW!, superb little pistol that will do the job when I cant carry a 1911.

I do want another full size 1911 with better sights, preferably stainless but if not then a parkerized piece, I have handled a few Taurus PT1911's and the fit and finish was very nice, BUT, for the money and not shooting every single day or for competition, I will probably buy a Rock Island tactical for the sights and ditch the ambi safety and crappy stocks. Or if I get lucky I will find another AMT Hardballer, Had 2, still kicking myself for getting rid of them as they both shot extremely well and from others that have owned both they say shoot as well as most Cold Gold Cups (YMMV!). I have also owned Springers and wasnt overly impressed.

Best all time 1911 I ever shot was my dads Remington Rand that he customized himself, home blued on the kitchen stove, hand carved cocabola stocks, a little tweak here and there and well thought out polishing along with a trigger job and man would that thing shoot! my dad could shoot bottle caps past 25 yards, no exageration as that man had an eagle eye that was uncanny.

So, after my little diatribe, I would recommend an RIA as the best bang for your buck, SARCO is back selling firearms and they have the full line.

Jeff

mike in co
05-07-2009, 01:15 AM
the para 1911 gi expert got here today. nice clean gun. made in canada....not the phillipines.
get some rounds down range soon and report back...they claim a 500 rd break in.

mike in co

JKH
05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
mike,

Can you post some pics of your new Para? They are tight, have you torn it down and cleaned all the factory oil off yet? Personally I like a lube with teflon in it, Tetra Lube, etc. It works very well in my stainless P10-45, like buttered glass.

You would be surprised how many 1911's come from the Philipines, some have a name that starts with a big capitol K ;^ ) The Philino's have been making 1911's for something like 50 years and provide frames and slides to manufacturers all over the world.

My new toy should be here next week, MKIII Detonics Combat master with hard chrome finish, late 70's vintage, should be a LOT of fun!

Jeff

mike in co
05-07-2009, 03:16 PM
pic challenged at this point. clean flat BLACK....three dot sights.
the supplied and applied lube is a white thin mil-comm tw25b.
i'll break it in with this and then who knows. i have a nice mil lite oil and a thicker teflon mil grease.
skeliton bob'ed hammer, three hole straight pull trigger,
very short pull, will test pull after breaki.
mike in co

any comments on mag choice, holster choice, mag carrier choice ?

looking at both 8 and 10 rd mags....wolff sells them ???

JKH
05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
hmmm, mags. I personally dont like anything that sticks out of the bottom, thats a BIG grip on a full size 1911 to begin with, having said that my RIA came with an 8 round NOVAKS that is a beautifully made mag with a perfect blued finish that is more akin to black chrome. It sticks out 3/8" of an inch which is VERY noticeable compared to a standard mag, I do believe with a Devel foloowr in a standard mag you can get 8 rounds but am not sure about reliability.

A 10 round mag would really stick out and would be more of a hinderance, the NOVAKS in my 1911 can hang up on clothing quite easily so I cant imagine what a 10 would be like.

I have carryed my full size 1911's mostly in a Don Hume #10 leather belt slide (PERFECT for my P10-45 and coming Detonics Combat Master) and a Fobus paddle holster. The only full lentgh holsters I have used were a GI flap holster and an Unckle Mikes nylon which were fine for open carry at the range or in the field (anywhere else in NY HAS to be concealed, no ifs ands or buts about it or you can be charged with brandishing for allowing it to be exposed to public view). Carrying a full size 1911 in a belt slide is quite comfortable BUT, it does leave a lot of pistol hanging out below and unprotected so care must be taken when sitting in chairs, etc. They are fast though as there is no retention strap on a well fit hiolster and very little leather actually hugging the pistol.

What I want next for winter carry is a good, slim, horizontal shoulder holster for my Detonics to wear under sweaters and hoodies, everytime I sit in my desk chair at work (well, most of the time) I hook up on the arm and give myself a mini wedgie when it yanks my pants up with it!

Is the finish on your Para GI like a painted finish (similar to powder coating)? I had a P10-45 with alooy frame and chromemoly slide, the slide was finished with a powder coat type material that was extremely tough, it held up very well to daily carry. If you do use a grease stick with very light stuff with teflon out of a squeeze tube, it stays flowing incold temps but wont run on you like oil and will work better with the finish on your pistol.

Gotta love a 1911! Old John Browning new what the world needed and God ordained it! I almost had my assistant talked into a good 1911 but he went with an FN .45acp, very nice pistol but just NOT a 1911 ;^ ) I wish someone could make a Colt Mustang - 1911 stlye locked breach .380 as tiny as a Kel-Tec P3AT, that would complete the cycle. I had an FI model D that was the original Colt Pony, what a gorgeous little 1911 clone but not quite as small as the Mustang, I wonder if you could chop one?

Anyway, sorry for my rambling, that seems to be a tendency of mine! Lets hear about more 1911's and I hope the OP finds what he is looking for and shares it with us, gun porn is awesome!

Jeff

mike in co
05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
first things first...not a carry gun, maybe home defense, but mainly club ipsc. the 10's are for round count..not looks.

as far as clones of 1911's....
i have a star bm...link bbl , just no grip safety, a 1911 sized down to 9mm.
and
i have a f i industries, mod d, cal 380....just smaller that the above.
it is a 380 sized clone of a 1911...no grip safety.( this was originally marketed as the colt pony, but never happened...ser number is CPAXXXXX....COLT PONY AUTO XXX)

as far as i am concerned..i got a full set....and no i dont want a bigger one.

anyone have any experience with the wolff 1911 mags ??

mike in co

mike in co
05-07-2009, 09:15 PM
just back from the range...230 ball/230lrn.....

200 rounds...slick as a whistle....

no hiccups/ no failure to feed, no failure to fire,no stove pipe.....

seems it may actually be shooting close to point of aim ...but target work is later.

singe shots, doubles, full mags...just keeps on running.....

i may actually like this gun.....

mike in co

JKH
05-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Mike,

Sounds like a good one. For what you are doing the 10 rounders will be fine, in a carry gun it is not a matter of cosmetics but of sheer size and having a weapon that prints, in your case it is moot.

You have the skinny on the FI model D's, first 100 were produced for Colt and are marked as you stated, I also had one parked as yours. Colt backed out of the deal and left Garcia Imports high and dry with these 100 pistols and a whole bunch more frames coming in from Star in Spain, MOST (but not all) of the original 100 Colt Pony's had the slides replaced with those marked FI, etc. A very few slid through and were sold as fully Colt marked and are quite rare. They are a beautifully made pistol as most Star's were, it is basicall the Model S but with a shorter butt and top end, essentially a "chopped" version, also basically the saem as the B's, PD's, etc. I sorely regret getting rid of mine, I have only seen a hand full and one was an Iver Johnson Pony that was also from Garcia and basically identicle to the original but not as nice fit and finish.

Anyway, glad to here the Para is starting off on the right foot, one of the best 1911's out there but you dont hear much about them for some reason.

Jeff

Kuato
05-07-2009, 11:10 PM
As far as Kimber goes, If I was given a Kimber for free, I'd sell it... Dan Wesson isn't like buying a Rolls Royce for the price of a Buick. It's more like buying a Mercedes Benz for the price of a Mercedes Benz.. And yes, I have shot them..

If you're looking for a "custom" gun then go ahead & get any of the super-duper, mega tricked out, flashy, custom tactical models out there for lots of $$$. OR, you can get a Plain Jane 1911 & customize it the way YOU want at a later time.. Isn't that what "custom" means anyway?

22lover
05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Surprised there's not more rec's for the Colts. You'd have to save a bit longer but the Colt XSE (a gun with some custom-shoppish features) is a fantastic 1911. I think they go for around $900 these days.

mike in co
05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Surprised there's not more rec's for the Colts. You'd have to save a bit longer but the Colt XSE (a gun with some custom-shoppish features) is a fantastic 1911. I think they go for around $900 these days.

no you missed the point....read what the gentleman asked for>
a $600-700 1911.......

he did not ask about a $900 gun........

and just for reminders....colt attempted to sell your gun rights to keep themselves in business making mil m16's.( now you know why colt ar15's are different than everyone elses)
why support the enemy ?

mike in co

Baldy
05-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Check out the Rock Island's. My one daughter came home with one about two months ago and now we have four in the family. Well within your price range and they are all shooters. Good hunting.

JKH
05-08-2009, 10:19 PM
+1 for the Rock islands, my 1st LT son just tryed like heck to con me out of mine, over the Para P10-45 I am trading him for the Detonics Combat Master, whats that tell you?

Jeff

Echo
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the STI Spartan looks to fill the bill. I don't have one, but have sort of lusted for one. Has adjustable sights, guide rod, &cetera, for MSRP $700. Google it and check it out...

Rodfac
05-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Get a Colt...they made 'em to start with and the rest are just copies. Spend a few bucks and get a competent gunsmith to do the trigger and tighten the rails and you've got an heirloom that'll never let you down. In my opinion, the Series 70 ones are the best. Used you can find them for $700 or so. Shoot the d--ned thing til you run out of money with sensible loads. Cast boolits will never wear it out. Try the truncated wadcutters and 5.0 to 5.5 gr of Win 231. I've got four 1911's and they all feed TWC's with no modifications. You can trick them out if you want, or leave them stock. It matters not. We've fought two world wars with them, a full blown "police action" in Korea, Vietnam and a half dozen other conflicts. They were built by and for Americans and they've written finis to a bunch of this country's enemies. Get a Colt.

The following verse is from Stebbins book: Pistols, a Modern Encyclopedia

For wide open spaces, the rifle's all right,
Where there's time, space and distance, and plenty of light,
But for work on the instant, when shooting is tight,
You can't get the slant with a rifle.

So I'll say that at times, it is all very well,
But for devilty, death, or the raising of hell
The Colt 45 is unusually swell,
And will go where you can't with a rifle.

You can spatter a dollar at seventy feet,
With a stunning precision that's pleasing and neat,
So I'll still make the claim that the Colt can't be beat
And will do what you can't with a rifle.

So when something is crashing the alders ahead,
And it's death to the brute or you in its stead,
Let the Colt automat, the fist-filling gat, the chunky blue cat,
Chuck its competent lead!

Regards, Rodfac

mike in co
05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
i just loaded some ammo for my para 1911.
brand new lee 225 rn...actaully weighs 225 with lube in ww.
the issue is the 1911 has next to no throat. my oal for my cz97 is 1.225, and with the new gun i am down to 1.2.....which meant less powder too....'

so the new load is 225 lrn, aa2 4.5, 1.200 oal, mixed brass, felix lube.

shooting to be done in winnemucca!

mike in co