PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith recommendations...??

j23
03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I am planning on having my Puma 92 Stainless' barrel cut down from the 20" that it is now to a more handy 16" Does anyone know of any gunsmiths (or are there any here...) who can do a simple operation in a semi-reasonable amount of time? Thanks. Joe

Frank46
03-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Don't know any gunsmith that can do the work you want. But cut the bbl at 16 1/4" or 16 1/2".Why so when the minions measure your barrel you'll still be legal. 16 inches smallest legal size for rifle barrels. And measurement from the breech face of the bolt to the muzzle is the accepted way to do this. Buddy of mine was going to shorten a marlin 30-30 as he always complained about tree limbs, brush and stuff like that. I had a marlin ss sporter in 444marlin. Never bothered me. So I tole him make it 16 1/4" long. Didn't see him for some time and one day he showed up. Said it was a good thing he listened. Got stopped by a state trooper and when asked if he had any firearms in the vehicle he said I have a marlin. Trooper saw that short barrel and got out the cleaning rod. 16 1/4" on the nose. Trooper told him that there were some hunters through last year and were bragging about their shortened rifles and how easy it was to get through the brush. trooper asks to see their firearms. Yep you guessed it. Out of 5 rifles 3 were undersized. Confiscated the shorties hauled the unfortunate fools to the judge and they had to pay a hefty fine. They were exceedingly lucky as far as I'm concerned. You know how hard it is to share 2 rifles amongst 5 hunters?. Frank

hiram
03-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Try http://www.stevesgunz.com/