PDA

View Full Version : newbie?

DeadWoodDan
03-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Just getting into reloading for .40S&W for XDM. didn't take me long to figure out lead was the way to go. i have only loaded 100rds and shot 30 of those with Hor. 180GR HP/XTP and titegroup. found a gentleman who sells cast boolits locally so thought i would try those next.

Is there any thing different i will need to do when using cast? Any other guidance will be appreciated. Still reading/searching and learning.

thanks

dubber123
03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Just make sure your dies are capable of putting s decent bell on the case mouths, to prevent shaving lead when seating boolits. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Throckmorton
03-10-2009, 11:22 AM
It's a good idea to seat in one die then crimp with a seperate die to avoid shaving lead and shoving crud up into the seat/crimp die.
Load ONE round,remvove barrel from gun,and test for fit.When I tried cast in my son's Ruger,I had to be sure that the driving band 'lip' was flush with the case mouth,which made the round shorter than 'book oal' specs.Many posters said that was sometimes required and to just reduce the powder charge a smidge.ymmv..youir milage may vary.

Welcome to the forum !