PDA

View Full Version : Reduced Blast Beans

markinalpine
03-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Since this is a reloading related forum, I decided that my method for preparing "Reduced Blast Beans" would be appropriate.[smilie=1:
Select the bean or mixture of beans of your choice. Put them in a pot, cover with water, stir around, check for sticks, stones, dirt, etc. (my Grandfather referred to this as "High Grading"), then drain. Cover with water again (plain tap water, NO SALT), cover and bring up to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 20 minutes or so. Take off the heat, leave covered, and let them cool down completely to room temperature. This is an improtant step, and don't try to hurry things up by adding cold water or draining them too soon. Start them the night before in necessary, or start them first thing in the morning. If you try to rush things, the bean skins might burst, and you will have mush. Also do not add any salt in any form at this stage, since salt too soon can toughen the beans.
After the beans have COMPLETELY cooled, drain, rinse, drain, and rinse again.
Now they are ready to be used in your dish of choice.
OR, just skip all the above, and enjoy the concert.

By the way, the old jingle, "Beans, beans, the musical fruit..." is incorrect.

It should be:
Beans, beans, the healthful legume,
But don't eat too many,
Or you'll clear the room.:oops:
Mark:groner:

waksupi
03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the tip, Mark. This will completely cook pinto beans doing it like this?

JW6108
03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
"Reduced Blast Beans"?

That would be like buying ammo guaranteed to fire 50% of the time :mrgreen:

GabbyM
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
A couple tbs of sugar added has an enzyme reaction that helps cut down the blast.

beemer
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Why would anyone want to do away with the recreational value?

markinalpine
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the tip, Mark. This will completely cook pinto beans doing it like this?

I think this depends on the size of the bean. I do use this method to pre-cook pintos, but then I add them to a pot of seasoned vegetables and meat that have been mostly cooked, and finish everything off with a few hours of slow cooking. I also make sure the pot has enough liquid, adding a little from time to time as the dish finishes.
Mark [smilie=f:

markinalpine
03-09-2009, 09:24 PM

...you might want to mix with polite people.:groner:

Mark [smilie=w:

jh45gun
03-10-2009, 12:09 AM
No blast thats no fun. My Mom always said to boil them for 20 min then add some soda to the water the water would boil up and that was supposed to take away the gassyness of the beans. Did a search and came up with this:

Many people experience some type of gastrointestinal discomfort after consuming different kinds of beans. However, baking soda is often touted as a great solution for this type of problem. But does adding baking soda to beans really accomplish anything? The answer is yes. Here are two different approaches to adding baking soda to beans that work for many people.

Perhaps the most common approach is soaking beans in water with baking soda added. This approach is often used with dried beans, but also can be used with fresh beans as well. One strategy is to place the beans in a large pot of water and bring them to a boil. This action helps to soften the capsule around the beans. After removing the beans from the heat, add in baking soda and stir the water until the soda is evenly distributed. Allow the beans to soak overnight, then drain and rinse thoroughly. Once this is done, the beans are ready for cooking.

Along the same lines, some people understand that the best approach to adding baking soda to beans is to simply place the beans in tepid water and add the baking soda. After one quick stir, set the beans to soak overnight. A quick rinse and the beans can be cooked and consumed without any worries about flatulence.

A different approach to the practice of adding baking soda to beans is adding the soda during the cooking process. Instead of soaking beans with baking soda before cooking, a small amount is added to the water during the cooking process. However, cooks who recommend this approach note that no more than 1/8 teaspoon should be used in a large pot of beans, as more of the baking soda will reduce the amount of Vitamin B1 present in the beans. Also, this method can leave the beans with a taste that can be described as a little soapy. However, if the beans are destined for use in a recipe where a lot of herbs and spices are employed, this will probably not be an issue. With either method, adding baking soda to beans will prevent flatulence and make it possible to enjoy the beans without after effect

GSM
03-10-2009, 01:19 AM
"without any worries about flatulence"

What, me worry? No way.

Beans are almost a perfect food - high fiber, good protein, low cholesterol. Side benefit is the toot flute - especially if you add a few cloves of garlic to the pot.

If they can't take a joke.....

Soaking overnight will take out a lot of the gasiness, adding the sugar or baking soda will also neutralize a lot of it. If you soak overnight, just don't use the soaking water for cooking; the stuff that is soaked out is in the water. I don't know if it affects the nutritional value though. I've always had better luck cooking one day and eating the day after.

Not to sidetrack too much, but a good bowl of beans and bread or cornbread is hard to beat as a full meal. Beans, a little sausage, and some bread - full belly, healthy, and "economical". This may get to be important in the coming years (or months).

BABore
03-10-2009, 10:10 AM
If you must have fart-less beans (don't know why), go to a home beer brewing/wine making shop and pick up a small vial of amalyase enzyme. Add a 1/4 tsp to the above directions. Amalyase will break down complex starches so you don't have to. It's the main ingredient in Bean-o. The down side is that the slow sugar/carb release into the bloodstream is negated.

dolang1
03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Or, never cook over 239 beans at a time.

Because...

Wait for it...

One more would be two...farty

Later Don

gon2shoot
03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd be kinda leary of the reduced blast beans, might get a squib load and blow sumthin up.

Onlymenotu
03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
or you could 1/4 up a carrot and cook with the beans,,,,, for reduced gas beans

Slowpoke
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I give em a good soak, and add a whole carrot, the dogs get the carrot when the beans are done.

good luck

Dark Helmet
03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
When you cook them after soaking overnight add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ginger to further reduce gaseous emissions[smilie=1:

WickedGoodOutdoors
03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Boston Baked Beans:

Tradition was that the Bakers Ovens were idle on the weekends and rather than wast all the good embers and to make a couple extra bucks people would prepar their Beans in a Clay fired Bean pot and bring it to be baked all Friday night into Sunday Morning when they would pick up the Beans. (Sunday Church Bean Supper)

As most comon city folks did not own an oven as that was an expence not worthy of sacrificeing the weekly beer/Wiskey money that is how it was done.

Here is an old Irish recipe:

In a 3 gallon glazed clay pot with cover.

2 pounds of White Navy Beans
1 cup of Blackstrapp Mollasses
1 pound of dark browne sugar
1 spoonfull of dry ground browne Mustard
1/2 pound of salt pork
1 small onion
large pinch of pepper
1 bottle of stout
4 quarts of water

Ginger sounds really good. Im going to try it.

Also Some Cayanne Pepper with Ginger asnd maybe some horseradish would be perfect!

Shiloh
03-24-2009, 09:19 PM

here here !!

Shiloh