PDA

View Full Version : free lead and casting alloy?

delmar
03-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Tell us about your best sources for scoring free lead and casting alloy.

Muddy Creek Sam
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, You go to the Mall with a Tire weight hammer and ........:roll::kidding:

Sam :D

delmar
03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, You go to the Mall with a Tire weight hammer and ........:roll::kidding:

Sam :D

:rotfl: I should have specified legal sources!

jcwit
03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Indoor range on clean up day. Outdoor range early morning or late in the day.

delmar
03-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Indoor range on clean up day. Outdoor range early morning or late in the day.

How deep would you have to dig into the hill at the outdoor range?

zxcvbob
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Just scoop it off the ground under the falling-plate targets every couple of weeks during the summer at the pistol range.

jhrosier
03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
.... Outdoor range early morning or late in the day.

I picked up about 150 pounds of lead from the surface of the berms last year.
I only pick up plain lead boolits and shotgun slugs.
It smelts down to about the same as straight WW.

Jack

TC66
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Muddy Creek Sam good idea. Not a single car in the parking lot at work has a weight left on it. Good couple hundred LBS. Nice to work for a big company. :shock:

Actually 2 boxes of reloaded 45 ACP donated to the tire shop owner gets me 100 to 150 lbs every month. Not a bad trade at all.

jcwit
03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
After a rain it just layes on top, don't dig unless you keep moving the dirt up the hill, it washes down fast enough.

roger rabbit
03-09-2009, 08:41 PM
About 50 lbs in 30 minutes at the range this morning. I go at sun up on weekday mornings a couple of hours before anyone else shows up. That was with nothing more than a bucket and a kitchen utensil. I'm going to improve the tools shortly.

jforwel
03-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Roger Rabbit I have had some luck picking up larger slugs at the range by hand but my next trip, when it thaws out, I will bring a sifter made up from 1/4" hardware cloth with a wood frame. I plan on shoveling dirt on the sifter and have lots of bullets left behind. Then I'll dump the bullets in a bucket and start over. When I am done I'll shovel the dirt back on the berm.

mikenbarb
03-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Tire shops, junk yards and the good ol' dentist. Yep dentist. They use pure lead film backings for the x-rays and their more than happy to give them away. I got 12 dentists that save them for me in containers I supply with my # and name on them. When their full they call me and I swap them out and I average about 40 pounds of pure lead per month from them.
:drinks:

delmar
03-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Tire shops, junk yards and the good ol' dentist. Yep dentist. They use pure lead film backings for the x-rays and their more than happy to give them away. I got 12 dentists that save them for me in containers I supply with my # and name on them. When their full they call me and I swap them out and I average about 40 pounds of pure lead per month from them.
:drinks:

What kind of containers do you use. Do you have a photo?

delmar
03-10-2009, 04:45 AM
I picked up about 150 pounds of lead from the surface of the berms last year.
I only pick up plain lead boolits and shotgun slugs.
It smelts down to about the same as straight WW.

Jack
So the gun ranges generally don't have rules against this?

imashooter2
03-10-2009, 07:50 AM

I'm always amazed by this as well. Around here berm mining wouldn't just get your membership card pulled, you'd get charged with vandalism.

But evidently not every place is "around here."

testhop
03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
roger rabbit
one tool that works great is the leaf rake it dont tear up the ground but pulls the slugs in a pile for easier pick up i also have a alummin shoval in the truck makes iy easer

Old Ironsights
03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm always amazed by this as well. Around here berm mining wouldn't just get your membership card pulled, you'd get charged with vandalism...

Ditto... at least at one range. At the sillouhette range I could probably rake the sand though...

jcwit
03-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Wonder why the big todo about mining the berms? Just wondering.

GSM
03-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Wonder why the big todo about mining the berms? Just wondering.

Usually because some of the more aggressive recyclers will dig into the berm. This tends to increase the erosion rate of the slope - especially if they don't make an effort to fill and compact the holes they dig.

jhrosier
03-10-2009, 05:14 PM

Some do, mine doesn't.
I am not digging, just picking up loose boolits from the ground in front and on the berms.
Our berms are to be rebuilt this year, so I will actively mine them the week before.

Jack