PDA

View Full Version : Ballisticast vs RCBS Moulds???

seagiant
02-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi,
I'll have to admit that for years I've felt that the best commercial off the shelf mould was or is an RCBS. I have one in "Keith" style for my .38/.357,.41 and .44 mag. bullets and to be honest am very happy with them. However it has come to my attention that Ballisticast has these same moulds in the original Keith configerations and I'm wondering if their worth the money at about twice the price for two cavitys??? If anyone has any ideas on this I would be glad to hear it. I would like to admit that I have never seen an actual Ballisticast or H&G mould ever. Yea, I know I need to get out more! Thanks!

475/480
02-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Yes you do need to get out more :-P
The ballisticast moulds are top of the line in material and form,I have a few 2and 4 cavity moulds.
I can only say get them if you can.

Sean

Buckshot
02-04-2006, 08:36 AM
...............I would rate RCBS and Saeco about the same, but that the later might edge out RCBS by a neck. I use both with mellow delight 8). I guess it would boil down to the question, "If there were only one mould maker.............." For quality and price I'd be forced to say Saeco.

I too have never seen nor handled a Ballisticast mould. I am curious as to why they're so expensive? Not trying to be difficult or argumentative here but just why would one of their's cost twice that of a Saeco? Can the cavities be any rounder or uniform? Can thier blocks be of a better material?

Just curious here.

..................Buckshot

old goat
02-04-2006, 02:10 PM
...Please keep in mind the prices we (or at least most of us) pay for SAECO and RCBS molds are NOT MSRP, but are discounted prices from places like Midway amd Mid South. The molds from Ballisti-cast , LBT. and NEI, et al, are full retail priced, therefore we pay more for them. Those three have comparable prices to each other, with Ballisti-cast being a little lower priced than the other two. If we paid retail, all would be in the $100 to $130 price range.
...That still doesn't keep it from stressing the budget.

...old goat

GLL
02-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I agree with Old Goat.

I have both Saeco and Ballisti-Cast 4 cavity moulds. The Saeco run $124 (discounted) from Midway while the Ballisti-Cast are $155 (list) from Ballisti-Cast. I feel the Ballisti-Cast moulds are not only superior construction but the company will fine tune to your needs. BC moulds are expensive but for me worth the extra $25-$30. I have been very pleased with their customer service.

I do like SAECO, NEI and RCBS moulds though ! :)

Jerry

Beau Cassidy
02-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Ballisticast- No question about it. One fine mold.

Beau

Nazgul
02-05-2006, 07:21 AM
I have several Ballisti-cast moulds and they are top notch. The workmanship is excellent. When I ordered them they asked the diameter and alloy I wanted. I was impressed that they took the time to ask.

The only better one I own is an Applegate. It is hand finished and close to perfect.

Have to agree that Saeco and rcbs are close in quality, no complaints with the ones I use.

Beau Cassidy
02-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately Applegate is no longer making molds. I tried to order one about a year ago and he told me flat out that he had no intentions of EVER making a mold again. I wonder who peed in his Corn Flakes?

Beau

Nazgul
02-06-2006, 07:58 PM
When I ordered my mould he said something about a long term medical problem in the family. I can see where that would hinder production.