PDA

View Full Version : Now I suspect the ammo and or partly me not the gun

jh45gun
03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Went out again today to shoot my Uberti and while the groups were not the best I ever shot they were more centered around the bullseye and not all to the left. I really now suspect maybe the ammo I was shooting on Sat the gun did not like as today I was shooting some of my handloads using CCI primers, Winchester Brass, 8 Grains of Unique and the Lee 452-255 RF Cast Bullet. Watering eyes due to the cold did not help at all today but at least the bullets were more centered to the target with bullets on the right and the left showing me it was not the gun. On Sat I was shooting Factory Federal 225 grain Hollowpoint SWC. Maybe the gun just did not like that ammo. I had bought a box of 20 just to try out the gun before I got my dies in that I had ordered and never shot the box until Sat. I took that instead of my reloads guess I should have taken some reloads too. So glad you guys told me to try it again as now I know I do not have to take it in to get it adjusted it was either the ammo and partly me but not the gun from what I seen today. I am glad for that.

Heavy lead
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Cool, I know in my New Vaquero, I was 100% convinced I would need the barrel turned. I do not know if it was me or the load I settled on for regulating the sights for (at least elevation) but it shoots spot on windage now, maybe if anything 1/2" to the left at 25 yards, but I can live with it. I still suspect it may be me though, as when I'm shooting bad I always pull to the left. Concetration brings me back on.

jh45gun
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Yea I know its been a while since I shot a single action so I need to hone my skills and I know my eyes are not what they used to be either. Still with all of them to the left on Sat I figured what the heck? Expecially since I shot two other pistols and my Smith 22 A with a red dot was shooting them right in there and my Encore 45/410 barrel was shooting high at 15 yards but still windage wise it was fine. I figure practice will make things come along with the Uberti now that I know it is not the sights that need tweeking just me LOL. Odd that that Federal ammo all shot to the left the gun must not have liked that particular load.

StarMetal
03-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Just for the heck of it try concentrating on pulling your trigger straight back. Right handers have a tendency to push on the trigger to the left, thus moving your shots that way. Just try it and concentrate....or hold the gun with your hand, but still use your right eye and see if your groups change.

Joe

TAWILDCATT
03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
he is anticipating the recoi and jerking to left.:coffee:[smilie=1:l

jh45gun
03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I am left handed. Not saying I am not anticipating recoil but I doubt it as I have been shooting pistols since I was 18 and I am almost 57 now so I have been at it for a while though anythings possible I am not disregarding anything. I do know I need to shoot this gun more to get used to it as you do with any gun your not used to.

waksupi
03-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I think trigger control is the hardest thing to do consistantly. The best training I have found for myself, is an air rifle, and an air pistol, both with mushy triggers. They really make you pay attention as you are squeezing through.
Like most of you, I have been shooting pistol for a lot of years. I thought I was doing pretty good, until I got some professional training. Found out I didn't know beans about doing it back then.

Reddot
03-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Waksupi,

Who's professional training?

waksupi
03-10-2009, 03:40 AM
Waksupi,

Who's professional training?

I went through the Grizzly Pistol Institute, and worked for American Self Defense Institute after that.