PDA

View Full Version : new to this forum, seeking info

sproutymcgee
03-09-2009, 03:26 PM
howdy everybody i'm sprouts, i am 29 years old married and have to kids. applied to site to learn more than i know which ain't much just yet. i need some info on finding a mold for a 50 cal lead shot for muzzle loading, where might i find one as i am getting into makeing my own bullets, any pointers? thanks in advance for any help and advise you all can lend.:coffee:

Maven
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
sprouts, Several manufacturers, e.g., Lee Precision & Lyman (see ads/links at top of page) offer .50cal. roundball and conical (REAL, Maxi-Ball, Minie Ball) bullet molds. However, you'll need to know whether a .490" or .495" roundball is recommended for your muzzle loading rifle. You'll also need to determine the patch thickness (roundballs only) that produces the best accuracy with a given ball diameter. Lastly, most muzzle loaders use pure lead rather than wheelweights to cast their projectiles, a fairly straightforward process BTW. You'll get near perfect results if you cast [pure lead] at 800 - 825 deg. F and follow the instructions that come with your mold.

mooman76
03-09-2009, 07:59 PM
What type of gun are you talking about? You need to know what twist rate the rifling is too. A slow twist wont stablize bullets and a fast twist will stablize and shoot bullets better.