PDA

View Full Version : Hand held Digital Thermometer

Wayne S
03-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Has anyone used one of the Hand held digital thermometers for checking the temp of your melt ??
someone posted a link to digital mic's and that Co. has hand held digitals that thay advertise good to 975* F +-, and less $$ that RCBS or Lyman

Wayne S
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Hawk,
thanks, figured someone had thought of using one before I did, I'll start looking to see if there is something else out there besides RCBS & Lyman, not that there is anything wrong with either of thoses

Nefarious Cohort
03-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Wayne there is a thread floating around here about the Centech 92242 which is a digital thermometer with a K-Type thermocouple it works great in the pot.

They were selling real cheap at the harbor freight stores for a while
I picked one up after reading the thread here and picked up a few extra thermocouple
I use it quite a bit for other jobs too.

here is the original thread (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=9190&highlight=digital+thermometer)

DanM
03-24-2009, 03:43 PM
It seems that nifty digital thermometer has been discontinued at HF. :cry: The pistol grip IR unit works well for me, but is less convienent since it wont do continuous readings (without holding it in your hand full time).

Nefarious Cohort
03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Dan, I was told by the local HF manager that it is still carried by the HF distributors and that as long as the distributor has them the local store can call and get them.

My local stores dist. was out, I got mine off of evilbay for more then they were selling for at HF, but for the use I have already gotten from it I would have paid a lot more then I did.

There is one or two listed there pretty much all the time.

cajun shooter
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM
The hand held ray gun type will not work as the reflective surface of the melt will cause false readings. Found that out after buying one at Sears and rushing home and using it before reading the directions. Mine won't even give a steady temp on my turkey fryer. Does work great if surface is not reflective. Later David

DanM
03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Yep, I just aim the laser beam right at the edge of the melt, where it meets the side of the pot. Readings are consistant that way. Would still rather have a thermocouple unit. I will ask for a special order next time I am at HF.....

Triggerhappy
03-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I've found that if you float a small chunk of iron or steel that's dark on the lead you can get a pretty accurate reading since it's not shiny but is the same temp as the melt.