PDA

View Full Version : stockmaking

Beekeeper
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I want to start a new project.Bought an old steyr 8x56R and want to do a manlicher style stock on it.
Was thinking of putting a handguard all the way to the front sight.
Have been looking at pics of manlicher stocks and didn't see one with the upper handguard.
Anyone got any ideas of how it would look or if I should even put one on it .

Was also thinking about changing the bolt handle to a bent bolt instead of a straight handle.

Any comment pro or con appreciated

beekeeper

TAWILDCATT
03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
no comment yet.:coffee:[smilie=1:

waksupi
03-09-2009, 08:06 PM
If you want to have an idea of what it would look like, check out a military Mauser. Same idea. I think your biggest problem, would be getting, or making, the proper mounting furniture. I definitely would go with a bent bolt. See the link below, for a Mannlicher I built last fall.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=39020&highlight=mannlicher

BPCR Bill
03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
beekeeper, 20 years ago I sporterized a Model 38 Swedish Mauser cavalry carbine. (Bolt handle turned down already). I got lucky and found a really nice Mannlicher stock blank from the old Fajens for a really good price. Anyway, I'll get a photo of it and post it later, but it turned out really nice. It's the 6.5x55 and has taken alot of riverbottom whitetails, and a few elk out in the black timber. I never put a scope on it, just a Lyman 56 peep, so it's fast and handy in the brush for close in shots. Fajens had supplied the Neidner buttplate as well as the steel nose cap, and I imagine you can get the hardware from Brownells. I don't know of any stock makers that do Mannlichers, but look around, you'll find someone. Upper handguards are mainly for military rifles. A competent gunsmith can turn down a bolt handle, or you can buy one from Brownells and replace the military handle.

Regards,
Bill