PDA

View Full Version : Info needed

Boerrancher
03-09-2009, 07:30 AM
I was in a gun shop the other day and found a 7mm-08 in one of the less expensive model Remingtons, I don't remember what model it was though. It had a synthetic stock, and a removable clip, over all looks it looked like an old 788 but a bit more modern. The shop owner wanted $375 for it, and I wanted to glean some information from some of you fellas that have been buying some these modern guns.

First off are these new cheaper grade of Remingtons fairly accurate? The 7-08 has a 22 in barrel on it, and is made light like a mountain rifle. I know I will lose a bit of velocity but at the ranges I will be using it, inside of 300 yds it will not matter. Secondly is this rifle worth $375? I can add a few dollars to it and buy a Savage 110 that know is of good quality, and will be a shooter right out of the box.

I have always wanted a 7mm-08, in a light sporter configuration for hunting hills, hollows, and mountains. I have several nice 98 mauser actions, and was going to build one, but I can't build a nice rifle for $375, even when I already have the action. $375 is a lot of money for me to spend esp now since I just recently bought that Mod 92. I just want to make sure that I am going to get a rifle that I will enjoy shooting, and that will be accurate enough to hunt with out to 300 yds.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

BD
03-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I hunt with a guy who's using a light 7-08 in stainless & Plastic and loves it. I think his is a Tikka, so I can't comment on the Rem. However if your looking for a light scout rifle setup, the 7-08 has a lot going for it, and using the modern short action may mean you can stroke the bolt without banging your nose, always an advantage.

BD

gray wolf
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
STOP

This may be a Remington 710--some came with a scope. If it is run don't walk
away from it. The 710 was the worst piece of crap that Remington made.
Sorry if someone owns one--they have a-lot of plastic in them
Do a search and read for yourself if it is a 710 it is junk.
You say you can't get a nice rifle for that price--well this ain't it.
Go with the Savage hands down--or a good used rifle.

Not meant to offend anyone.

GW.

1Shirt
03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Go with the Savage!
1Shirt!:coffee:

pdawg_shooter
03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
STOP

This may be a Remington 710--some came with a scope. If it is run don't walk
away from it. The 710 was the worst piece of crap that Remington made.
Sorry if someone owns one--they have a-lot of plastic in them
Do a search and read for yourself if it is a 710 it is junk.
You say you can't get a nice rifle for that price--well this ain't it.
Go with the Savage hands down--or a good used rifle.

Not meant to offend anyone.

GW.

+1 on the junk!! A 710 would not make a good boat anchor!

Heavy lead
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
If in fact that is the 710, yes run. IMO I would not buy a Remington unless it were a 700 or a 7 (seven). Unless you can find a vintage 788. I've bought two 700 ADL's in the last couple years both in great shape (one actually new) and spent 550 for both (not each). The 270 shoots great (it now thinks it is a CDL thanks to some aftermarket buys) the 7 mag was going to be a 375, but it shot too well, so now it thinks it is a BDL. When will I learn not to shoot my guns I buy for the actions!
Look for a used one, not just a Remington. Maybe there are some good bolt guns out there that people traded in on AR-15's.

Kuato
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
7-08 is a fine cartridge but I prefer the 7x57 better. The 7-08 is a bit handicapped with the heavier boolits. The velocity gain over the Mauser round is marginal. All that aside, If you don't already have a 7x57, By all means get a 7-08. Both are VERY accurate & work beautifully on deer & hogs. I'd have gotten a 7-08, but ran into a beautiful M95 Chilean Mauser first. I have 2 7MM Rem Mags & a 7x57 Mauser already, so I dont see any need for a 7-08.

All that said, I have to agree that the Rem 710 is garbage. If you want a light sporter, get a Remington model 7. They handle great & you can carry it all day long with no problems. Coupled with the 7-08 round, it makes for a great field carbine.

tdd4570
03-09-2009, 01:42 PM
If it is a 710, pass. If it is a 788, buy it. If you don't like it, send it out west to me.

I hunted with a 7mm/08 for years in a Model 7. It was a great little rifle for whitetails in thick cover. Moved to NM and needed a pronghorn rifle. Now it is a .260 with a longer barrel. If the Model 7 had a 22 inch barrel it would still be a 7mm/08.

Dave