PDA

View Full Version : Hi TNsailorman 7.92 cartridges

armyrat1970
03-09-2009, 05:52 AM
The thread was getting a little long so I posted this. The cartridges you are referring to with the A stamp on each side of the primer are Ecuadorian, not Turk or Yugo. 1955 had copru-nickel jacketed bullets. The bullet weight runs between 196 and 198grs. They probably came on a silver colored stripper clip which is quite good. Don't know if they had very hard primers but they had a lot of FTF. I averaged about 1 out of 10 that I had to hit twice before firing. Out of my dot1943 they averaged 2558fps with an ES of 37.92 and a SD of 17.34. I stepped the charge down and found my best load at 38grs. They averaged 2202fps with an ES of 23.55 and a SD of 9.11. At 100yrds I managed to get 4 shots in at 1 1/2" with one flyer that opened the group up to 4 1/2". I also found that after stepping down the charge I had no FTF's.?? I still have many left but I don't think you will find any on the market. The bullet is a Spitzer hollowbase boatail and very accurate. I pull them and the Turk for the powder and bullets and am working on a load with the powder under my 175gr cast RN in 8mm.

TNsailorman
03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
The thread was getting a little long so I posted this. The cartridges you are referring to with the A stamp on each side of the primer are Ecuadorian, not Turk or Yugo. 1955 had copru-nickel jacketed bullets. The bullet weight runs between 196 and 198grs. They probably came on a silver colored stripper clip which is quite good. Don't know if they had very hard primers but they had a lot of FTF. I averaged about 1 out of 10 that I had to hit twice before firing. Out of my dot1943 they averaged 2558fps with an ES of 37.92 and a SD of 17.34. I stepped the charge down and found my best load at 38grs. They averaged 2202fps with an ES of 23.55 and a SD of 9.11. At 100yrds I managed to get 4 shots in at 1 1/2" with one flyer that opened the group up to 4 1/2". I also found that after stepping down the charge I had no FTF's.?? I still have many left but I don't think you will find any on the market. The bullet is a Spitzer hollowbase boatail and very accurate. I pull them and the Turk for the powder and bullets and am working on a load with the powder under my 175gr cast RN in 8mm.

Thanks for the information. I did not chrono my loads but they did shoot very accurate out of a 24/47. I bought a little over 700 rounds of the stuff from widener's on an impulse while I was over there one day. I think I paid somewhere is the mid to upper 30.00's for the stuff. And it did come on silver colored stripper clips which I saved and have used over and over. I no longer have the loading data but I believe I loaded somewhere around 45.0 grains of the powder. As I stated before I pulled down and weighed each and every load(both bullet and powder charge) and they were quite close in weight. I wish I had kept the data that I had on this load but about once a year I go through my data and clean out any that I think is no longer valid and this was one that got trashed. I used some of the powder left over(about 5 rounds worth) to load some Remington 185 grain SP bullets with the same powder charge and they too were very accurate. One thing I have noticed over the years shooting the 8x57mm mauser is that they seem to do better with 170 grain and above bullets. This holds true for lead or jacketed bullets; at least in my experience. I have used both the 175 grain Speer JSP and the Remington 185 grain JSP for very accurate loads. The only lighter load that I have been able to use with any success was the 150 Hornady jsp and IMR4895 powder(47.5grs.). I am currently working with a bunch of 170 grain lead bullets cast from the Lee mould. It shows good promise so far. I just need to try other combinations of powder other than Unique to see what it likes. The weather is warming up again and I might be able to get out and play some more. I really need to find some more powder and primers. Thanks for the reply and information. James