PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer stem to short

Reddot
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I took Recluse's suggestion and purchased a thermometer from these guys. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009022707520132&item=21-1617-I&catname= As advertised the stem is 2 1/2" long but the dial is 5" in diameter so I can read it easily. Is there a way to extend the stem so that I can get a reading when the lead level is lower in the Dutch oven?

cheese1566
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I was thinking about one too, but they also offer a 4" and 6" model.

I was holding off since I thought the 5" would be too big. Do you have any trouble with it being too large? I wold be using it in the smelter pot (8 qt sst pot for reducing WW) and then in my Lee Pro-4 Production pot.

Sorry I didn't answer your question...

montana_charlie
03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Is there a way to extend the stem
No...

VintageRifle
03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I bought this one BBQ250-5-1000-cl from:

http://www.kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker_thermometer.html

Recluse
03-08-2009, 11:31 PM
If you haven't used it yet, give the Surplus folks a quick call and tell them your situation. I've shipped stuff back to them and swapped for other items on several occasions. I had to pay for shipping but no big deal--another five bucks to save forty or more on what a Lyman or RCBS thermometer would cost you.

:coffee:

Reddot
03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I was thinking about one too, but they also offer a 4" and 6" model.

I was holding off since I thought the 5" would be too big. Do you have any trouble with it being too large? I wold be using it in the smelter pot (8 qt sst pot for reducing WW) and then in my Lee Pro-4 Production pot.

Sorry I didn't answer your question...

The only problem with the thermometer is the fact that the stem length is 2 1/2" long. I love the dial because I can read it without my glasses on. The gauge responded very quickly which is another plus.

I had a brain storm last night. At the base of the dial there is a threaded bold like thing. I could get some flat stock, bend it like a z and drill a hole large enough for the bolt like thing to go through and screw a nut on to hold it in place. That way I would have a handle. When it stops snowing and I can get to my stuff I'll take a picture of the thermometer to better illustrate the problem and solution.

I don't know if this thermometer will work well in a melter like the Lee. I'm afraid that the stem might be to short unless you had a full pot, but since I don't have a Lee pot I can't know with certainty. Maybe Recluse can chime in on that issue.

Down South
03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Is there a way to extend the stem so that I can get a reading when the lead level is lower in the Dutch oven?

Unfortunately the answer is no. If the thermometer is still new you might be able to exchange it for one with a stem length that you need.

briang
03-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Would it hurt the thermometer to thread it into a piece of flat stock and let it float in the melt?

kendall yates
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
No it wont hurt it. I bought one from ebay and drilled a hold in a piece of half inch bar for a handle, it works great. You can see exactly what I bought at ebay, Item number: 360129960693

cheese1566
03-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I checked their website and the 4 and 6" units are all gone. They still have some 2.5" in the straight and adjustable styles..:groner:

I did order more motors from them today to make my copy of the Brass-O-Matic case annealer machine...