PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify Lubrisizer

Westwindmike
03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I bought this lubrisizer at the local gun show today for $5. Did I pay too much? I assume it is Lyman by the color. It needs a lot of cleaning! Can someone tell me what it is? Are dies still available for it? Does it look like its missing the top to the lube container?
Thanks,
Mike
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/westwindmike/image0005.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/westwindmike/image0006.jpg

cheese1566
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Lyman 45, maybe?

I'll save ya some grief and take it away for $10...

:holysheep you got a smokin' deal!!

I seen a thread not long ago about someone cleaning one up and giving a coat of fresh paint. Looked like new when he was done.

testhop
03-08-2009, 09:59 PM
it is a lyman 45 for sure
have one wore out the pressure stim called lyman was told no parts avalabe

Westwindmike
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Lyman 45, maybe?

I'll save ya some grief and take it away for $10...

After I get into it, I may wish I'd taken you up on that.

cheese1566
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Always looking to tinker and reinvent... keep me in mind!

jcwit
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Lyman # 45 is right. If the pressure stem (threaded rod) and the piston are wore out use parts for the Lyman 450. I see you also need a small bolt to hold the linkage, should be a hardware store item, no problem.

Once cleaned up and new rod & piston installed and mounted on a flat board (hardwood is possible) you should have a working luber/sizer. Current Lyman sizing dies and top punches will fit.

BTW You made an excellent buy from the looks of it.

Also I know the #450 parts fit as I've rebuilt 2 of the older #45's myself. Any questions just ask.

Westwindmike
03-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll get the thing into a bucket of kerosene and get it cleaned up.

HeavyMetal
03-08-2009, 11:07 PM
WestwindMike:

I gotta tell ya I admires a man that likes a challange!

As others have said it is a Lyman 45. Yes it needs a top for the lube resouvior.

What I'm curious about is the item sticking out of the base of the sizer? Is that the bottom of the threaded shaft that applies pressure to the lube?

I don't believe I've ever seen one falling out before. You may have to drill and bush that before it will work right but check with some of the guys who've rebuilt these they'll know more.

To clean it I will suggest a heat gun and some good brake parts cleaner. This need a colpete stripping repair and repaint from the looks of it.

madcaster
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Fellas,if the rod that pushes the bullet back up after sizing/lubing is ever lost,a new suitable replacement can be made from a nail,just get the lenth right and remember to keep the end that has the head on it...no big deal.
From Smiley's 2 cent tips!:bigsmyl2:

Firebricker
03-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Check out cabin tree I think their automatic lube feed would work. Looks like you got a good deal to me !

jcwit
03-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Tip for cleaning. Get a Kitty litter bucket with some kerosene in it and let it soak, then off to the local car wash for final clean up. Just don't let any parts go down the drain.

I've used this same method for cleaning extra dirty surplus rifles.

Recluse
03-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I just finished refurbishing a Lyman45 not too long ago. Here's the thread with some before/after pictures.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=46851

The Lyman45 is probably my favorite lubesizer, along with a Star--but I like Stars when they have all the bells & whistles. But you'll have a whole lot more than five bucks in a Star with all the fun stuff.

Good luck in your project and enjoy it. Lot of satisfaction when you get it all cleaned up and adjusted and lube your first few boolits.

:coffee:

Westwindmike
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, I took it completely apart today. Took a while just to clean out the old lube. Used kerosene then brake cleaner. The brake cleaner really cleaned it, but also took off some of the paint. I didn't want to do a complete restoration, just get it working, so I put it back together and it seems to work great. It was completely frozen up, now everything slides nice and smooth. It had a .358 die and #429 top punch in it. Now just need to find a used .451 die for it.
Mike
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/westwindmike/image0007.jpg

Cowboy5780
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Looks like you got a good buy to me, if it has old grease in it use a heat gun will melt it right out

cheese1566
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
OKAY! I'll go up to $15 for it...:)

The other thing would be to heat it in oven at low temp to drain the old lube from all the cracks and crevices.

I hope I have good luck in our upcoming gunshow next month!

Westwindmike
03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, between the hair dryer, the sun and some kerosene, it came out clean. The hardest part was the sizer die and the part that moves up and down in it. Tried soaking it, penetrating oil, and heat. It was stuck bad! Finally a brass punch had to help get it started. Once clean, it moves freely now.

Now all I need is a good lube for it. All I've ever used is LLA.
Mike

mikenbarb
03-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Best way to clean a lube sizer is to boil it with the plunger out and it will boil out all the old lube and crud. Just oil it down when it dries which dont take long because its hot from boiling in the water.. Dont use a punch or hammer on it because the chances of buggering something up is real good. Boil it and you will be a happy man with it and kerosene or chemicals will break down boolit lube if any residue is left in it plus remove the paint which you dont want to do.
Plus when you boil it any left over lube floats to the top and you can salvage it if its still good. It makes great casting and smelting flux if its too old for lubing boolits.
PS- DONT use your wifes good pot for boiling it. She wont be happy with lubed carrots and peas.LOL.:wink:

sharpshooter3040
03-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I bought this lubrisizer at the local gun show today for $5. Did I pay too much? I assume it is Lyman by the color. It needs a lot of cleaning! Can someone tell me what it is? Are dies still available for it? Does it look like its missing the top to the lube container?
Thanks,
Mike
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/westwindmike/image0005.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/westwindmike/image0006.jpg

its a lyman 45 just needs to be cleaned up. They go for about 50 bucks around her in good working condition, so I don't think you got hurt

94Doug
03-10-2009, 12:49 AM
I dont think you need a top for it either, one of mine has a top that isn't really a top at all, just more or less for looks, it has openings on it. As long as you have the plunger to push down on the lube, I think you are ok, it just doesn't look as cool. You sure got a deal. A .451 sizer should be cheap, that isn't used too much, usually .452 would be more popular.

jcwit
03-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Only thing I think the top reallydoes is helping keep the pressure supported when using a fairly stiff lube with no heat.

Of course without saying it keeps dirt out but anyone with any sense can see that. One of mine has holes in it like Doug mentioned, so it doesn't keep much dirt out. lol

Plus 1 on the .452 sizer.

Pressman
03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
You do need a top. It supports teh saft as you turn it under pressure. Without the top the saft gets pulled to the side damaging how it secures to the bottom, besides getting bent which realy jams up the works.
Tops are available from Lyman and are easy to turn on a lathe if you have access to one.
Ken

Westwindmike
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
You do need a top. It supports teh saft as you turn it under pressure. Without the top the saft gets pulled to the side damaging how it secures to the bottom, besides getting bent which realy jams up the works.
Tops are available from Lyman and are easy to turn on a lathe if you have access to one.
Ken

Thanks Ken.
I don't think I'll be buying a new top for this one. It would cost more than the sizer is worth. Maybe I'll just use a softer lube. Any suggestions?
Mike

jcwit
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
If all the top is for is support, see if you could find a 1 1/4 inch plastic or sweat on copper pipe cap and drill a hole in center. Time to check out Menards or Lowes.

BTW these sizers are going for $50 to $75 on the auctions. So what its worth is MUCH more than what you paid for it.

Pressman
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
The Lyman 45 sells very well on eBay. In the 45 to 75 range depending upon auction fever, condition and what is with it.
I have a new Lyman cap that will fit your sizer. Shoot me an email and we can talk business (cheap).
herters@netins.net
Ken

94Doug
03-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I see what you mean about the top. That does make sense.