PDA

View Full Version : Two things

mugsie
03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
1) I'm using a Lyman 452424 mod to cast 45LC. The mold drops perfect bullets. The spru plate is another story. I have to pry the spru away from the plate on virtually every pour. i removed the plate, noticed it's very rough and polished the spit out of it. It looks nice and smooth and shiny now. Haven't tried it yet. Am I on the right track?

2) Went to the range today- lookin in one of the buckeds and found about 200 - 300 44 magnum brass. Looks to be fired one time! Someone shot the snot out of something, then threw all the brass away - Whooho am I happy! I'll cast a batch for em', and by next week they'll all be ready for a second chance at life - albet with cast bullets.

Stay well people. Remember, in 4 years we get to correct the mistakes the rest of the country got us in to!

Later....

RayinNH
03-08-2009, 07:27 PM
1. I would say your on the right track, no reason not to release unless there's a burr on the sprue plate. One other thing you might check is that the sprue plate is perfectly flat. When trying to deburr the hole on the bottom someone may have wallowed out the area at the hole, thereby creating in essance a head to the underside of the sprue.

2. Makes you warm and fuzzy all over doesn't it...Ray

Shiloh
03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
1) Usually, if it is that hard to move the plate there will be a visually obvious problem that is causing a type of mechanical lock. Like you I polished out a rough spot. This is assuming that you are sprue cutting shortly the puddle solidifies. The warped sprue plate might be a little harder to detect, especially if there is a variance in the condition complicated by a heated mold, vs. a cold mold. A gouge or abrasion will show up in short order though if not remedied.

2) I love it when I find once fired brass. Last fall I found 60 pieces of .30-06 brass.
The person put it back in the boxes, in the shopping bag, with the receipt.
They paid almost $70 for 60 rounds and left the brass for me!!

Shiloh

RayinNH
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Shiloh, very thoughtful of them to box the empties for you...Ray

44man
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Now that it is polished, put some mold prep or use a lead pencil to coat the sprue taper, in fact I do the whole plate, top and bottom. A little Bullplate lube works great.

Shiloh
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Now that it is polished, put some mold prep or use a lead pencil to coat the sprue taper, in fact I do the whole plate, top and bottom. A little Bullplate lube works great.

I just received my Bullplate from up in Alaska. Haven't tried it yet. Heard good things here at the forum, thats why I ordered it. How do you like yours??

Shiloh

fourarmed
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Mugsie, take a close look at the sprue holes. Do they taper down to a sharp edge, or is there a short portion right at the bottom that is cylindrical? If so, that is why they don't drop out.