PDA

View Full Version : Basepin lube

RegCom7
03-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I keep reading about using Mobil 1 grease for lubing basepins on cap and ball revolvers, and on .45 Colt type sixguns. I have some Valvoline synthetic grease. Do you think that'll work ok, or is Mobil 1 really the best stuff for blackpowder revolvers?

August
03-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I use Mobil 1 bearing grease and it works really well!!! Never clean my pistols during a match. I would suspect that, if the Valvoline is FULLY synthetic, it would perform just as well. But, again, the Mobil 1 works GREAT!

I don't know what color the Valvoline is, but the Mobil 1 is red and, therefore, easy to see when it's applied. I use it on the ratchet (not the pawl), base pin, bushing, and (this is important) end of the bushing where it contacts the frame of the pistol. Sealing that space between the bushing and the frame is the key to smooth running. I keep my mobil 1 grease in veterinary syringes, which make for convenient application.

cajun shooter
03-09-2009, 08:35 AM
+1 on the lube. My revolvers will run without a bind. Been using the Mobil 1 for about 8 months now without a problem. I use a turkey injection syringe and coat the pins sides and back end were it goes into the frame at the base plate. I would also think that if the other is full synthetic it would work but was turned on to the Mobil1 by a old hand with C&B and went with it.