PDA

View Full Version : Sorting 22RF cases

roysha
03-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Do those of you that swage bullets using 22RF cases for jackets, sort the cases by headstamp? If so, why?
How closely do you sort? For example, I have cases with a "U" headstamp that have a couple of different sizes of "U" and some"W" cases that have a cannelure around some and not others. Do you separate them?
Just curious. I do sort by headstamp because I have found a bit more consistency with the final product, not necessarily that one is better than another, but "birds of a feather seem to group together" a bit better.
Although an interesting point was brought to my attention; it seems some years ago Federal was producing the "economy" ammo for all the major companies and just putting it in the appropriately printed brand box. Perhaps it, (the sorting) is all moot.

Ballard
03-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Yes, for best results, sort by headstamp. Jackets will vary too much if you don't do this. I also throw away any case with a cannelure, as I don't think that is condusive to a good jacket. My opinion only...

MIBULLETS
03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I also sort by headstamp. I do not keep Federal brass though. It works but forms much harder than any other I have tried. If I had to pick one brand, Eley seems to shoot and form the best with remington a close second. I have not tried all brands yet though. I would like to try Fiochi and Lapua. Anyone trid those?

Danth
03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Hmmm. Interesting thought. I weigh the finished bullet and sort by weight. Never considered there might be other differences effecting accuracy. Danth

jcunclejoe
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Years ago I measured jacket (22 RF case) wall thickness with a ball micrometer. I measured hundreds of jackets and found that all were pretty much the same producing .0005 average variation. EXCEPT for Federal jackets which showed three times as much wall thickness variation at .0015.
I have checked Lapua and Eley and they too fall in the .0005 average variation.

So for my bullets I will sort by MFG headstamp and will use anything but Federal.
Wolf ammo is made using Lapua cases (same headstamp) and Aguila is made using Eley cases (different headstamps).

Just a little information, hope it helps someone.
Shoot often and shoot well.
Joe

MIBULLETS
03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the interesting info Joe. I am actually suprised that the 22 cases are that consistant. I have tried Wolf cases too, so I guess I have tried Lapua then. They seem to be of good quality. They don't form as smoothly as Eley and Remington, but not far behind.

Dan

jcunclejoe
03-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Glad some of my observations were helpful. Like I said, I do not know Wolf is using Lapua cases but the headstamps are sure the same.

"Sometimes a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information" may not be an exact quote but Clint Eastwood said something like it in Fist full of Dollars.
Joe