PDA

View Full Version : Ruger, Savage or Remington

arcticbreeze
03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I am looking into buying a new rifle this week. I have decided to go with 30-06 and have narrowed my choices down to three. They are the Remington 700, Savage 110 and the Ruger M77. Since I have no experience with any of these rifles I would like to hear your thoughts on witch would be the better choice. This gun would be used for hunting pigs and deer in FL and range playing. 100 yard shots are rare while hunting here but I like playing at the range at 100-300 yards. I am kind of partial to wood for witch ever is chosen. (Just aesthetic preference, don't like plastic)So it would probably be one of these models.

Remington 700 CDL
Ruger M77 Hawkeye
Savage Model 110GXP3

The Savage comes with a scope but since I will end up most likely recapping it with better quality optics I am not counting that in the equation.

rockrat
03-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Partial to the 700's here, but I uderstand that the Savage has a good trigger in the Accu-trigger and many of them will really shoot

Firebricker
03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
articbreeze, IMO you cant go wrong with any of the three. My current deer rifle is a m700 but I have had a ruger 77 and it shot great as far as the110 I have never owned one but my friend had one a shot and I liked it to all three were acurate and reliable. If wood stock is a factor I like Rugers wood stock its a classic design that fits me good. I like the flat trigger on the 700 over the rounded 77 but thats just my preferance then you have the 110s accu trigger I have never shot one but I have some coworkers that swear by them.
Good luck you've got a tough choice. F.B.

nekshot
03-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I personally like the character of a gun. Looks, weight and what I call carryability and ability to tune a rifle usually make up my mind . For me this decision would be the remington. But, all my savages are great shooters, just not quite as refined looking as I like. I do restock the savages to help trim them into shape and help me appreciate looking at the rifle on a dull hunting day. That in itself makes my day.

Kuato
03-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I have both a Rem 700ADL in 7MM rem Mag & a Savage 110 in 25-06. Never liked the Ruger M77s. The toss up between the Rem or Savage is, 6 of one, half a dozen of another. It goes more into personal preference. I like both rifles. Both are very accurate, but I prefer my Rem 700. Ohters will chime in I'm sure, but really your question is like asking "Which is a better choice, S&W or Colt?". In truth, all 3 will do what you want them for.
Handle all 3 rifles & see which one "feels" the best. Dont forget, there are other rifles too I.E. Mauser, Winchester, Howa, Mossberg, Sig, Sako, Weatherby, etc.. All of them will perform well. It all depends on your budget & what rifle you feel comfortable with..
Just my $0.02

BIGGUNGOBOOM
03-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Personally, Remington 700 then Savage and then Ruger,

The Remington 700 style rifles come from the factory with a decent trigger pull, and are usually decently bedded in the stock, the savage's are great because the accu trigger but arnt always bedded as good, the ruger in my OP have a terrible trigger pull and need to have some work to them, but their wood is beautiful and they are usually bedded well and shoot well, but the trigger pull may effect your accuracy.

all in all like most said they are all great guns, mostly comes down to preference.

Heavy lead
03-08-2009, 02:19 PM
700, have 6 of them, have had 10, never had one that would not shoot, all triggers are easy to adjust and well (except one I had to replace) IMO 700, or save a little more and get a Kimber 8400.

Boerrancher
03-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I have all three sitting in my gun safe. For looks it is the Remingtons, for just being great shooters right out of the box, my money would be on the savage every time. The Ruger... well what can I say? Plan on spending at least $100 to buy a new trigger and install it also, I don't think the actions on the Rugers are as slick as the Savages or Remingtons.

Best wishes from the Boer Rancher,

Joe

arcticbreeze
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I just came back from my local Wally World and I always slide by the gun counter while I am there. Lately they have been wiped out but to my surprise they had a Remington 700 sps with some off brand 3x9 scope for $447.00. It was kind of ugly and the stock felt cheap but I am tempted because of the price and I could have it now. I have never replaced a stock before and i am wondering if it is difficult. Also this gun has no mag or hinged floor plate. Can that be changed with the stock?

Wayne Smith
03-08-2009, 05:32 PM
You will have to buy the metal and the stock, and buy a stock cut for the metal. It's not hard, just attention to detail!

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
another vote for the 700. Ive owned quite a few of them and have yet to have a dud.

Doc Highwall
03-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I vote for the Remington also, I have about 6-7 of them. It is also the same action that the military uses for the Army M-24 and the Marines M-40 sniper rifles.

corvette8n
03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Since I'm a lefty I have two LH Savage 110's, one in .308 and the other in .338wm The .308 is a plastic stocked gun and the .338wm is wooden. the .308 is a lot cheaper to shoot than my .338wm, but for some strange reason I like to shoot the .338 just something about that kick.[smilie=1: for me the choice was simple it was a lot easier to find LH actions by Savage than from anyone else.

69daytona
03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I have a rem 700 in 308 and a savage 110 in 30-06, I would take the savage over the rem, they both shoot very good, the new trigger on the Rem is a pain to work on, the Savage Accu trigger is easy to adjust and very smooth right out of the box plus the Savage is usually 100 or more cheaper.

Heavy lead
03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I just came back from my local Wally World and I always slide by the gun counter while I am there. Lately they have been wiped out but to my surprise they had a Remington 700 sps with some off brand 3x9 scope for $447.00. It was kind of ugly and the stock felt cheap but I am tempted because of the price and I could have it now. I have never replaced a stock before and i am wondering if it is difficult. Also this gun has no mag or hinged floor plate. Can that be changed with the stock?

And if you are interested I've got a Hogue overmoulded 700 long action stock with the full length aluminum bedding block I will sell you cheap, the ones with the full length bedding block are 200 bucks plus, I'll sell it a lot less if you are interested.
On that note I've converted two ADL's (the old model with the blind magazine) and Midway has the bottom metal, you will also need to buy a magazine box (I have cut them down before as the blind mag box is longer), and new spring. I've found the blind magazine follower to work fine in a couple I've done.

R.C. Hatter
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
While all three are generally good rifles, I've owned/shot a lot of Rugers and Rem. 700's, I don't have any experience with Savage other than an old Model 99. I can state that based on my experience, I prefer the Ruger over Remington. I believe Ruger gives more value (or bang) for your buck. That said, I would advise you to look at, handle, and shoot all three makes, if possible, then decide, as you'll have to be the one to tote it around in the woods. You can't go wrong with the .30/06 chambering for an all
around hunting rifle.

mainiac
03-08-2009, 06:43 PM
If you want looksand feel,than go with the rem. If you want accuracy,buy the savage,hands down. Savage makes a model that has walnut stock,and gloss blueing,buy that and then you have the best of both worlds!BTW, as far as factory trigger, none can beat the savage accu-trigger.

1Shirt
03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
All good, flip a coin! Out of the box, my choice would be Savage.
1Shirt!:coffee:

mooman76
03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
A lot of people don't know it but you can go to Walmart on line and order a gun that they carry and have it shipped to the Walmart you want to pick it up at(as long as they carry guns). They have allot bigger selection on line than they carry in the store.

Heavy lead
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I posted earlier on here, and while I am in line with the other Remington voters here, I'm sure the Savage is a fine rifle as well, I just do not have experience with them, but I would, if I were in the market for a new rifle would also consider the CZ, I have a couple and they are a very nice, although a might heavy classy looking and good shooting rifle with a lot better trigger than anything made in the USA. It is a single set trigger, and the instructions to adjust it are in the manual and there are no warnings about adjusting. Mine after adjustment is so clean, light and crisp I do not even use the single set feature.

218bee
03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Well heres my two cents...out of the above three I would get a Savage American Classic...great looks (wood and blue) has accutrigger and they just seem to shoot well out of the box(not knocking the other two).
But.......Take a look at a TIKKA in wood and blue and operate the bolt and feel how that feels..smooth as glass. I bought one in 6.5Swede after seeing my buddies shoot .8 100yd groups new out of the box with factory Hornady ammo his is in .270. I am impressed with Tikka good barrel good trigger and smooth bolt...Sorry if out stepped my bounds as you say you narrowed it down to above three but I am just so happy with my Tikka I'd recommend them to anyone.

obssd1958
03-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Figure I might as well throw my point of view in here...
I own all 3 rifles - M77 in .338WM, M700 in 30-06, 110 in .300WM and .458 WM, and I just got a 116 in .300RUM (I am going to order another barrel for the 116 in .358NM).
The M77 has the old "boat paddle" stock, and in .338WM, it really makes an "impression" on your cheekbone!! Just a poor stock design.
The M700 is my accuracy baby! The trigger has been adjusted to be just right for me, and the rifle is the one I would not be able to get rid of, if I had to choose just one to keep.
Now for the Savage's - I am a sucker for anything that you can change the caliber on, just by changing the barrel! (I also own 2 Witness pistols, with a total of 5 caliber conversions) This is something that no one else has mentioned, but if you wanted only one repeating rifle, in many calibers, the Savage is the way to go!

Take care!

Don

mainiac
03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I might also add that the savage is made in u.s.a.! When was the last time you heard that! I was a rem man,but after i went to savage,ill never look back. Corp rem is based in america,but they are so far out now,that i wouldnt dare say that they have any guns built in america anymore

DLCTEX
03-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Savage is my pick and I've owned or own all three. Look into the new full length bedding block Savage is offering now. DALE

Char-Gar
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I have both Remington and Savage bolt guns. If, I had to pick one over the other it would be the Savage. I would make that choice on price alone. the Savage family of bolt guns are as accurate or more so than any on the market and at a price you can afford.

That said, there are no flys on the Remingtons. They are fine rifles.

The CZ family of rifles are another make that gives top quality for a decent price.

The Ruger would be way down on my list... way down!

AZ-Stew
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I've never owned a Savage, but by all reports, they're very accurate.

I bought my one and only Ruger 77, a heavy-barreled .25-06, in the mid 70s. The scope wouldn't align with the bore without using shims. The trigger was impossible to adjust to any reasonable degree. It wasn't bad accuracy wise, but the Remington sporter-barreled rifle that replaced it was better out of the box.

I own a safe full of Remingtons, 700s and 788s, along with some 60s era .22 rimfires (the whole line of the 51x series). No complaints.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is resale value. Of the three, Remingtons will hold value better than the others.

Regards,

Stew

Crash_Corrigan
03-12-2009, 12:05 PM
That CZ is a sleeper. I have two. One in a full stock Manlichicher styler in .223 and a heavy barreled Varmint .22 LR.

They both have that single set trigger and it is awesome! The fit between wood and metal is excellent and the stocks are beautiful. Walmart is not going to carry these but you should look them over before you plunk down your money.

I presently own:

CZ 453 .22 LR
CZ 527 FS .223
Winchester '94 {1929} 30-30
SMLE No. 4 MK I .303
Springfield M-1 {1955} 30-06
Custom 6.5 x 55 MM on BRNO Mauser 98/22 Action with bells and whistles
Winchester 97 12 Gauge Pump
Baker 12 S by S {1920} Shotgun

The only gun that outshoots my CZ's is the Custom 6.5 x 55. But that cost 4 x more than any other gun that I have.

However given your choices I would go with the Savage. That accu'trigger is a big selling point. You can play with the stock but I believe you will get your best bang for the buck with the Savage.

I am still looking for a Savage .22 LR model that is the same one that I learned to shoot on {1920] AS IS WAS INDESTRUCTABLE. I shot that thing from '54 to '62 and put thousands of rounds through it with outstanding accuracy and reliability. Heavy and ugly it was but I could depend on it every day to deliver 1 MOA all the time.

I found the Baker shotgun that I cut my teeth on last year and now I am seeking that ugly Savage .22 LR for my grandkids to play with.

Recluse
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Straight out of the box, no rifle outshoots a Savage. Straight out of the box, no rifle needs as much work to BE a good shooter as a Ruger.

I have a Savage 110B in 30-06 that gives me .75 MOA at 100 meters. All I have done is have the stock shaved and balanced a very slim bit, and had a very good bed job done by a very good gunsmith.

Had a Ruger in 25-06 that I bought new out of the box. After spending almost the purchase price of the rifle on tuning and stuff that SHOULD have been done at the factory, it was a very, very good shooter. But I could have bought TWO Savages for what I spent getting ONE Ruger to be a good shooter. One of the few rifles I've ever sold/traded off. That was more because of calibre than brand--I like most Ruger products.

Remington. . . what can I say. Superb weapons and I've never known anyone to go wrong buying a Remington. I'm helping a friend rebuild his 700 in .308, and the more I tinker with it, the more I get tempted to buy the gun from him. . . . except he ain't sellin' it.

In about a year, I'm looking to buy a .308 and "accurize" it to the nth degree. Got a guy who is the FBI HRT retired armorer who continues to build guns for them and the black BDU boys down in that remote corner of Fort Bragg who is going to build the gun. He also works on most of my guns whenever they need it and I trust his opinions without question. I've been set on finding a pre-64 Winchester Model 70, but we've also been discussing a Remington. He says the military is still very fond of them, as are a number of civilian law enforcement agencies.

You will not go wrong right off the bat with a Savage or a Remington. You will not go wrong with a Ruger, but I feel you do have to spend too much (additional) money doing things to a Ruger that should've been done in the first place, namely trigger and bolt/action.

:coffee:

arcticbreeze
03-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Wow, I thought I had made my mind up for the Remington but after finally getting to put all three to my shoulder I think I am going Savage. The Ruger in my opinion was the "prettiest", the Savage 2nd and Remington 3rd however that might not be fair because the Remington was the SPS and the other two were nice wood stock models. Now after reading all the posts I think that may have sealed the deal. Funny thing is the savage is cheaper. I never get that lucky.:)

Hardcast416taylor
03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Okay, here is an opinion from an old retired fart with experience with all 3 makes. They are all good rifles, buy what you have money for.Robert

arcticbreeze
03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Okay, here is an opinion from an old retired fart with experience with all 3 makes. They are all good rifles, buy what you have money for.Robert

:groner:My better half likes your answer and you sir have undermined many, many years of work explaining to her why I just have to spend X number of dollars and that spending less would just be a false economy.[smilie=1::twisted:

Lead melter
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
My local gun shop owner says he sends more Remingtons back for out-of-the-box repairs than all the others combined. That said, here is my choice on the matter in order;

1-Ruger. You may have to spend a little more on the gun and tweaking, but they are built like a tank. Will generally take way more than what you can throw at them. I have several and have been pleased with all. Plus, most of them are shooters to start with.

2-Savage. Almost as well built as the Ruger, but a whole lot uglier. I've seen one that would not shoot. Had it 2 years, did everything I could think of to make it shoot, but to no avail. 1/2" groups one day, 4" groups the next.

3-Remington. The 700 series is a nice gun, but I don't know much of the 710 or 770. If you buy the 700, just be ready to send it back for repairs.

As a side note, DO NOT overlook the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa. Solid as a rock, most are real shooter, and not a whole lot of $ for the value.

Terrier
03-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Pick the one you like the best and get for the best price - UNLESS. Unless you are going to do a lot of work on it. Then only consicer a Savage: barrel swithes in 10 minutes (after the first one), Shilen stainless matche for under $300 delivered, most every barrel make does pre fits that you install yourself, you don't have to true the action to get benchrest accuracy, and on and on. Go to www.savagshooters.com and look around for a while you will be supprised.
Terrier

Hardcast416taylor
03-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Hello Articbreeze. Well now that I`ve got your frau counting the change in your pocket when you return from a store errand over my short and to the point comments I would like to question you. What caliber specifically are you interested in? Are you going to shoot lead boolits or that other stuff? Is the frau going to shoot it also? We here on these sites are a "nosey" bunch and actually can offer advice from our" 8 or 10 months"[smilie=1: of shooting experience we have in our lifetime. One bit of advice I may offer is to actually try each brand and talk face to face with the owners at a shooting range or gun club. Hands on knowledge can overpower an opinion heard or read secondhand. And lastly, finally!:roll:, what use do you forsee for the rifle other than getting it by the "BankenFrau" home defense possibly and/or hunting? When you have acquired your treasure check back with us, we can help you load for it - if that is another "BankenFrau" allowance. Good Shooting! :drinks: Robert

arcticbreeze
03-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Hardcast416taylor

30-06 is the chosen caliber. I will be a pig and deer gun. Ranges I hunt at do not require much accuracy or range. If fact the last shot taken at a pig was at approx 18 yards but that is not the norm either. I would say average would be 30-75 yards.However I would like to play on some 100-200 yard ranges though in the off season.